Small viv DIY setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zicarus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Thought id log my progress on my viv design still in the early stages but thought id post what i started tonight, ill keep updating as it progresses. Just winging it as its the first one ive done :)

Foam cut out and glued and shaped didn't get a wip of this.
P8130555.jpg

Checking how it fits in the viv.
P8130553.jpg

First coat of grout.
P8130556.jpg

Second coat of grout.
P8130558.jpg

Back in the viv to see if there is enough space for the sides to go in later this week.
P8130567.jpg

Just some shots of the viv with the limb i found while i was out the other day.
P8130562.jpg P8130563.jpg P8130564.jpg

Still got a few more coats to go then ill put the different shades of stone paint on and seal it, going for more NT rock types.
Then its on to the sides incorporating all the hides so there are plenty of places to hide...

Last edited:
The first few pics didn't work but the last three did. Looks great :)

Thanks for that Lawra i think its cause there was an err and i used the auto save, should be working now i hope :)

Did a test paint run on my back wall tonight.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376654098043.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376654098043.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 129
I like it :) I'm also a bit envious because a) you aren't working directly in the enclosure and b) it's not 1.5m long lol. Mine is taking forever :p

Dont be lol I cant wait to do my 4x4x2 ill have a look and check yours out :)

4x4x2 is fairly huge! That's going to look so awesome :D way bigger than my current project. Will it be gass or melamine?

It will be melamine for sure lol ill be asking for the services of someone ive been chatting to build it for me. I want a big viv for when its an adult plus there will be 2 vivs one bredli and a diamond.

Finnished the side today not overly happy with the color.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376795956555.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376795956555.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 95
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376796021154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376796021154.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 110
Finnished the side today not overly happy with the color.

You're always going to get slight variations in colour if you don't do them at the same time. If you really hate it you can paint over them both at the same time to get them the same. IMO it looks good :)

To me they are both a little too red think ill tone it down a little. But ye I know what yr saying

It looks good mate you should be proud of yourself and proud of your work :) the colour looks good too and if you aren't 100% happy you can always paint it again until you get what you want, is this particular enclosure for your bredli? He would right look at home in there :)

I'm working on one myself for a little 2ft viv20130818_152719.jpg

it's the usual polystyrene construction with tile grout base then painted. As per tutorials i've sealed it with PVA but have encountered a shine. Apparently if i sprinkle clear/white sand over it between coats it will dull the sheen. Anyone got any experience overcoming a similar problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not up to the sealing part yet but im searching for ways to keep it matt. There has to be some way and if there is ill find it the problem is I think most find its hard finding something non toxic. Might try some ideas out tomorrow.

It looks good mate you should be proud of yourself and proud of your work :) the colour looks good too and if you aren't 100% happy you can always paint it again until you get what you want, is this particular enclosure for your bredli? He would right look at home in there :)

Thanks :) and yes its for my bredli deciding if ill go his nstural environment or judt create as I go not sure.

Im not up to the sealing part yet but im searching for ways to keep it matt. There has to be some way and if there is ill find it the problem is I think most find its hard finding something non toxic. Might try some ideas out tomorrow.

Yepp, my problemo exactly. PVA is water resistant and non toxic, but shines... On a few other pages they recommend doing 5 light coats of PVA and sprinkling small amounts of sand in between coats. I did the first coat to see what it'd look like, but it's shiny as hell! So i've ordered some clear/white sand from a craft store online and when that arrives i'll give it a crack. If you have any revealations please share!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back