Snail attracting plants.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Just wanting to know what plants seem to attract lots of snals. I have almost no snails in my area and would like to get a few around for pink tongue feed.

i used to have some lettuce and no sign of snails

agapanthus. I too have heard that they love agapanthus but i have never found them near mne and also offered my snails the leaves and they didnt touch it.

if you have any sighn of salt in your soil you wont see them.
how far from the coast are you

50-60km. The wierd thing is over the road they get plenty of them, i see one or 2 every few weeks

They dont realy eat agapanthers,they just seem to live in them.
Sounds like you need more shade,go out on a rainy night or morn.

Make sure you have lots of containers like upside down plant pots, buckets, ice cream tubs etc. Also check your letterbox and kids play equipment. Put loads of those around the garden and the snails will shelter there during the heat of the day. Then you can scoop them up!

Also, can skinks eat slugs? Our worm farm seems to attract loads of slugs, so maybe try that. They are also very good for getting rid of food waste and providing great fertiliser!!! (worm farms that is, not skinks...)

I find that bricks with three holes in the works real well. Also they love my bok choy. its real easy to grow just sprinkle seeds from bunnings and water a couple of time and presto.Works really well with loam soil but clay works also with gypsum.:)

Snails will eat many types of plants / weeds, the key to finding snails is that they need cool places to hide during the day ie rockeries, brickwork, thick shady vegetation. If you go for a walk very early in the morning, you will find snail "hot spots", where huge numbers congregate and feed during the night. It is quite easy to collect 50 plus snails in half an hour at these spots.

Check the base of any trees with smooth bark in shady wet spots, particularly cherry blossoms:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back