Snails and Lizards?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notechistiger

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering if it was okay to feed SEA snails to blue tongues? I wasn't sure if the chemicals involved would affect them, or if it could, how long would the snails need to be kept in separate tank without any chemicals before it was safe to feed them?

Thanks,
~ notechistiger.

Ok, well there goes that idea that their shells might be a little tough, 'course your proberbly talking about little ones with similar shells to garden snails and not the ones I eat.

That is a good link! Now I just gotta get some blueys:rolleyes: (seems easier to get a snake in this house):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
are you kidding? o.0

thats something worthy of being put in a signature. rofl.

i might as well feed a snake a carrot.

Why's that Kirby? Blue tongues are quite known to eat garden snails. I'm not aware of any difference between sea snails and garden snails (except the fact that one is aquatic). If you're aware of any, please tell me.

daniel, I was talking about freshwater snails, those found commonly in tropical fishtanks, not marine snails.

interesting thread. i was feeding mine garden snails for a bit till i got a bit worried about the possibility of snail bait.

alternative would be great as they love them

Hey notechis, in relation to freshwater snails here goes..............................

i had a Mertens Water Monitor and found some freshwater snails which i put a couple in the tank with my Mertens. The snails cleaned the algae of the tank but there ended up being snails everywhere. My vet Terri Bellamy told me i had to be very careful with freshwater snails as many of them carry liverfluke and could infect my animals. So my Mertens went for a check up at the vet (just in case) and the tank was cleaned out by removing all gravel, hosing out the tanks, flushing at the filter and running it in a bucket for a couple of days before it went back in with the Mertens tank.

So in my opinion, i wouldn't risk it. Another option is go to those cheap asian food stores, they sell quail eggs in brine. rinse them off under the tap for a while and goannas and blueys etc love them. The turds smell horrendous though :)

Liver fluke is common in all snails, the best way to feed wild snails is to collect them, keep them stored in a cool / cold area in a DRY airated bin (don't feed) for a month, then freeze them all and feed dead.

Liver fluke is common in all snails, the best way to feed wild snails is to collect them, keep them stored in a cool / cold area in a DRY airated bin (don't feed) for a month, then freeze them all and feed dead.

To prepare snails for human consumption they are usually put in a tub for a week with greens like lettuce, rocket, or mint to clean them out, then starved for a week. I don't see why this wouldn't work with snails for lizards as well!

my science teacher told me to feed wild ones on lettuce and flour for a month, hold them in a tub(not shoe box as they eat paper) with moist soil. he said they will probably breed aswell. works for my blueys. i now have a colony of snails, crickets and woodies. works well &saves money, although im not sure about water snails.

How do the snails get liver fluke? Something environmental? I wasn't planning on keeping the snails with the blue tongues, rather keeping breeding them in a separate tank which will soon be unoccupied. The reason why I was thinking freshwater snails is because I will also be getting a few tropical fish tanks set up, and I quite like snails trawling the sides :D But thanks for the heads up, salebrosus.

To prepare snails for human consumption they are usually put in a tub for a week with greens like lettuce, rocket, or mint to clean them out, then starved for a week. I don't see why this wouldn't work with snails for lizards as well!

Nothing against feeding them, it's just easier to keep them cold and dry, they go into hibernation and stay alive for many many months without the need to do anything to them.

cold like the fridge?

why not just buy a can of snails from the supermarket?

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps/food-for-thought-and-bluetongues-42624

These are a great idea notechistiger. I tried this after Baz's thread and they work great. You can buy them in bulk from a supplier in Sydney, which works out quite cheap, otherwise just check out who the enarest distributor is to you. Alot of deli's will sell them too.

Where abouts? I've hunted through plenty of asian stores in Sydney and still haven't seen any!

L'escargot are cooked, usually in garlic butter, so any flukes would not end up in the livers of the gourmet. Bluies however prefer their's "sashumi"

If I had no other alternative and I wanted to spoil them, I'd feed them snails from a can. However, it's just as easy for me to breed (and cheaper too) snails. As I said, not sure if I can do any of that with freshwater snails (and the only reason I'd do that with them is because I want snails for my tanks anyway). If not, I can just go and buy or find a couple of snails and breed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back