Snake Eggs... What do i do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never bred colubrids, but I'm sure there are people here who can help you out. Temps are probably OK at 28-30C, and humidity would be as per python eggs I guess, close to 100% in the egg box, either over water or on vermiculite.

Jamie.

Thanks guys. All much appreciated. I admit i am a novice and probably not the best snake to start off with but they look awesome and want to share them. This is my chance to do that.

Good for you. I'm glad you finally got some assistance after all the negativity.

Thanks guys. All much appreciated. I admit i am a novice and probably not the best snake to start off with but they look awesome and want to share them. This is my chance to do that.

It doesn't really matter at all if the eggs are not fertile, have you checked that yet?

how do i check if the eggs are fertile? She is laying them now and i did put my male in there a few months ago.

They should be nice and white, and if you hold a light up to them have veins.
This is an infertile egg (no veins),
tn_IMG_0267.jpg

This is a fertile egg.
tn_Dudegg006.jpg

Well they are freshly laid and there appears to be some viens running through the eggs. They are all at the top of the egg so hopefully i am ok with that?

Hi Guys,

My Blue phase tree snake just layed some eggs today. I dont have an incubator but want to know what i am supposed to do till i get one? If i need one at all.

If she is coiled nice around the eggs and looks like she is doing a great job looking after them. then let her self incubate. my NT childrens laid her eggs on the 4th Oct but isnt a very good mum so im thinking of incubating them my self.

If she is coiled nice around the eggs and looks like she is doing a great job looking after them. then let her self incubate. my NT childrens laid her eggs on the 4th Oct but isnt a very good mum so im thinking of incubating them my self.

Pythons and colubrids are two different stories with self incubating.......INCUBATE YOURS

Bad advice, put them in an incubator.

Im no expert and would love to know if any of what im saying is wrong.

As far as i know the best thing to do is keep them around 25C or even a bit less and at a stable temp. Im using a mix of 50% oven dried pearlite and 50% water this season, i have found this works well with spencers monitors so im hoping will also go well with these guys(both take 3-4 months to hatch). Last clutch i had most of them died, i was using the over water method but i think i let them get a bit to hot and i was using ice bricks to keep the temp down as they were inside and room temps got to 30 on many days. I think the over water method would work fine and was more likely higher temps that killed them.

In a dry environment they die very quickly, i experienced that a fair few times when i took a few days to find the eggs. Northern types may lay all year round although i dont know much about them and havnt got any good eggs from my goldens yet.

So in short you want to stop them getting too hot and keep temperatures as stable as possible to avoid conensation or drying. Putting them in an insulated area under your house would probably do the trick.

They will also lay 2 clutches a season, so you may get more in a few months.

Here are some pics, good eggs, some slugs/infertile eggs and a good egg a few weeks old being candled.

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 53
  • slugs etc.jpg
    slugs etc.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 54
  • egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
thanks heaps chris. I finally got them to an incubator. I think it is going to be set at about 28 so will see what happens. Im getting an incubator on friday so i will be ready for the next clutch. I know that they do have a few lays as she dropped 21 eggs last year. Just need to perfect the hatching so what you have suggested might be the way to go for the next batch. Im in victoria so shouldnt have to worry too much about heat but i guess like i wrote earlier. Trial and error. Will deffinately give what you have said a try. Have you had much luck with breeding these snakes?

I would drop the temperature, it may be OK but cooler would be a much safer bet. I have been told this by others who are experienced breeders as well as learning from my failure i mentioned above. I got one out of 8 last year(the rest were pretty much fully developed) and most of the previous clutches have dried out before i noticed them or been slugs previously. Havnt got any good eggs from the goldens yet, but have only been trying to breed them for the last few months and i know SFA about their breeding habits.

The south eastern type are like many other snakes you just need to allow them to cool over winter and keep them in good condition.

ok cool. Well i know that these are from north qld so would that make a difference?

Maybe, I dont really know. I have been told that common tree snakes are likely to be split into differant taxa, so they could even be a differant species for all i know.

I've done colubrid eggs at 26-7 degrees with 100% hatch rate. I've also tried at 30-1 degrees like pythons and had 100% death rates. However a friend of mine says he has had them hatch at 30.5 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back