Snake ID - Blue Mountains Locale

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gomeztime

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Found this little snake yesterday in the Blue Mountains.

I'm pretty sure it's a Drysdalia rhodogaster, same family as the white lipped snake. Anal Scale was definitely single, and the eye looks too big to be a Crowned snake, that should also have a divided anal scale.

So pen your thoughts in the thread.

Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• Butterbox11-11-07-0037.JPG
    Butterbox11-11-07-0037.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 295
  • Butterbox11-11-07-0038.JPG
    Butterbox11-11-07-0038.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 335
  • Butterbox11-11-07-0039.JPG
    Butterbox11-11-07-0039.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 260
  • Butterbox11-11-07-0040.JPG
    Butterbox11-11-07-0040.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 274
i would have to agree with you,it has a dark marking on the head
and has no white stripe on lip or coming from eye

appears to be an olivey sort of colour`
and if you saw its anal scale you must of got an even closer look

Mustard-bellied snake perhaps?

Oh woops didn't know a mustard bellied snake was a Drysdalia Rhodogaster lol. Nice find mate.

re Snake

Yeh ive seen those at woodford and near MT Victoria late 60s and early 70s,we used to call them masters snakes back then and they would feed on grass skinks in captivity.They were fairly common being found under sheets of bark,pieces of rubbish like cardboard and tin in woodlands.

Gomeztime

Definately a drysdalia rhodogasta, common name Eastern Masters or Mustard Bellied Snake. These little guys are very common on the BlueMountains, specially up around the Lawson area. They are also fairly common in the Southern Highlands around Picton.

Back in the 60's and 70's they were also common in the Western Suburbs. A friend of mine commonly caught these around the Western Parramatta area. There are also reports (not confirmed yet) of these snakes being found around the Wyoming, Narara and Niagara Park areas on the Central Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back