Snake ID help required

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksome

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folk for some ID assistance. Herps aren't my area of expertise, so I'm not entirely sure what this guy here is. It's probably an easy one, but if it helps, this was photographed near Renmark, S.A.

Cheers
Rich

Attachments

• SNAKE_IMG_5135.jpg
    SNAKE_IMG_5135.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 286
  • SNAKE_IMG_5129.jpg
    SNAKE_IMG_5129.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 219
whatever it is (herp n00b still learning here) its very pretty! i love the black and white.

Thanks guys!

My 'guess' was a Tiger, but my wife tried to convince me otherwise by saying "it looks nothing like a Tiger in any of the books we have!". So I thought I'd better get clarification lol.

Much appreciated!! :)

edit: Meant to ask, is this adult colouration or is it a juvenile? It didn't look particularly large, I'd say approximately a metre and fairly thin I thought.

edit: Meant to ask, is this adult colouration or is it a juvenile? It didn't look particularly large, I'd say approximately a metre and fairly thin I thought.
Tiger colouration is highly variable ranging from entirely black to two-tone green to two-tone brown to two-tone brown with yellow belly. About a meter is adult size

Yeah i have to agree with fuscus.
I have seen thousands of tigers nakes over the years while fishing, and the amount they vary in colour is incredible. Some of them have been almost completely black with faint yellow bands, and others have been grey with very distinctive black bands.
Usually about a meter, but i have seen them up to 1.5 meters quite a bit, including one big one i saw recently. They have poor eyesight, and dont always get out of the road when you approach them, and as a result have led to quite a few "nervous moments" on the river banks over the years!!!!

Did u see on "life in cold blood"
There's completely blind tigers on kangaroo island (i think) that have had their eyes pecked out by the seagulls (bout 10% of the tiger population)
Although blind these snakes can still effectively hunt using just smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back