Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pans are known to have a head distinct from the body with a slender neck that tapers , Pans always exhibit a pale creamish colour around the head /lip area and it looks bigger then a metre in the pic i cant be %100 sure on that so i guestimated its length but it does look 100 cm plus .....it doesnt look like a marsh to me ....

different to the ones found around near me though, that one is really pale in colouration. In my area the adults have a real shiny dark grey / black back and a shiny grey belly and have markings and a light brown head, the juvs are usually plain dark brown with distinctive markings on there head

my display picture features one and here are some pics of some

Last edited:
nothing like a taipan, you can see the cream stripes on the face, its a marshie

Pans are known to have a head distinct from the body with a slender neck that tapers , Pans always exhibit a pale creamish colour around the head

What you've said is sort of true, but I still don't see how it relates to the snake in the picture. The pictured snake doesn't have a pale head (it does, however, have a pale stripe on the side of its head, which is uncharacteristic of taipans). It has a head that's distinct from its body, but so do numerous other snake species, including marsh snakes. I'd expect it to have a much more pronounced neck if it was a taipan.

If you still think it's a taipan in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I'm happy to agree to disagree with you. :)

Stewart

attachment.php
I've worked these photos a bit to bring up some detail so here goes...

attachment.php

Up close the pale stripes from eye to neck say pale form marsh snake.

The Marsh Snake (Hemiaspis signata) can be recognised by the
two distinctive narrow white lines on the face; one along the upper
lip and one from the eye to the side of the neck. Colour ranges from
pale olive to black above, and dark grey to black below. Maximum

length is 1 m, but most specimens measure about half this size.

Hi Akira,

Thanks for the larger pics. From these you can tell without a doubt that it's a marsh snake.

Stewart

so, rbb, whats your say??

:p

(just having a bit of a joke, please dont take offense)

(its also funny to see how most the replies copy the first few posts untill somebody says something different haha)

ok ill stop typing now :p:p
hehe

'stirring the pot'

Nat ;)

I love ID topics

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with being wrong. But I think it's undesirable, and possibly dangerous, when a person's opinion is stated in a way that makes it sound like a fact. In other words, only say "it's a blah" when you're 100% sure of your ID. If you're not 100% sure, simply say something like "I think it's a blah". This way the original poster won't be lulled into a false sense of certainty.

What do others think?

And people starting an ID thread should never rely on the opinions of a bunch of random internet dwellers in matters of life and death. I have visions of someone rocking up to a hospital and telling the admissions nurse "I was bitten by a snake, but some guy on the net who I've never met told me it was a keelback so I should be right".

Stewart

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with being wrong. But I think it's undesirable, and possibly dangerous, when people's opinion is stated in a way that makes it sound like a fact. In other words, only say "it's a blah" when you're 100% sure of your ID. If you're not 100% sure, simply say something like "I think it's a blah". This way the original poster won't be lulled into a false sense of certainty.

What do others think?

And people starting an ID thread should never rely on the opinions of a bunch of random internet dwellers in matters of life and death. I have visions of someone rocking up to a hospital and telling the admissions nurse "I was bitten by a snake, but some guy on the net who I've never met told me it was a keelback so I should be right".

Stewart

I have to concur. Whilst in this instance it was obviously knowledge for knowledge sake, for a few minutes this morning I felt like a BIG man , you know, goin toe to ...whatever with an honest to goodness TAIPAN! I mean sheesh! I'm just a little ol' country boy from Canada and here I was dukin it out with one of the deadliest snakes in the world!! Now look at me. PFFT. And I quote:
While some bites may produce uncomfortable symptoms, such as local pain and swelling,others elicit little or no reaction.

Now that I have been completely emasculated, I'm just gonna lie here on my couch and wait to get deported... Thanks for listening. :cry:

Having seen the enlargements, I now agree it is a Marsh Snake - albeit the palest I've ever seen.

:p

Hix

It does go to show that making IDs from photos on the net is not cut and dried. Like the Brown ID thread of a few years back.

RDU my appologies after looking at the real close ups i am wrong, i have never seen a marsh so light in colour before it was a great debate in your favour ....:)

RDU my appologies after looking at the real close ups i am wrong, i have never seen a marsh so light in colour before it was a great debate in your favour ....:)

There's absolutely no need to apologise! This is a discussion forum, and we all had a civilised discussion! :)

Stewart

Great looking habitat by the way, looks like a great place to spend some time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back