Snakes alive and aplenty in heat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EXPLAINING about snakes and how they suffer is not causing trouble at all ...the more people are educated the less inclined they are to kill them and either accept that they live there too, or call a catcher to come and get it. Instead of killing or hurting it ...
You would be surprised once people get to actually find out some truths about snakes ,they are more open minded and actually start to appreciate the animal for its natural beauty and not just focus on it as a killing machine ...so the more that is told the better in the long run it will be ..even if it means Baz has now convinced only a handful of people ,thats a better % then prior to his article ...

Your opinion, not mine. Most people willing to give kill a snake wouldn't give a damn what you saying about how they suffer because...the only good snake is a dead snake and no amount of education will change that in alot of cases.
It would be nice if it did though.

So in real terms, it doesn't matter what he told the reporters because it won't make any difference to those whose minds are set like stone on the matter ......8) ;) So where's the problem? :lol:

Your opinion, not mine. Most people willing to give kill a snake wouldn't give a damn what you saying about how they suffer because...the only good snake is a dead snake and no amount of education will change that in alot of cases.
Not just my opinion I have actually had people change their minds about the" snake attitude" because of what I have shown them and explained to them in the process of doing a catch at their home ...so it is working ,might not be in plague proportion like we would want to see ,but definantly is happening ...some people have called me to say that they are happy now to have certain species there but would like me to remove the higher toxic vens ..which I can understand not many are comfortable having EB's around or even RBBS;s for that fact ...
Your attitude is really abrupt considering your a snake person ...I would have thought you would be happy to have even one person convinced :rolleyes:

Anyway, regardless of who thinks what about these snakes, I don't think many people appreciate the time and effort an animal takes to achieve the size of that gorgeous one Bazz has in his hands. It's so sad seeing something like this either splattered on a road or bludgeoned to death with a shovel. I hope my little one can one day reach a nice healthy size like that. So far, due to his dietary intake, it's been a bit of a struggle....but here I am 18 months down-track and he's still going strong....and has become relatively friendly may I add :lol: :D

If you say so, but did you walk past it numerous times to ensure that it wasn't actually some form of last brain activity causing the mouth to open? Sorry, but I just happen to find it very hard to swallow that a snake whose body has been seperated from its head still has the ability to open and close its mouth and use its eyes.

It seems that it doesn't stop with educating people who kill snakes.
We also need to educate people who keep herps also.
Track down "Health & welfare of captive reptiles" - edited by Clifford Warwick, Fredric L. Frye & James B Murphy.
In Chapter 11, Miscellaneous factors affecting health & welfare, 11.7.2 Euthanasia & Killing methods (a) Decapitation & spinal cord severance, it states that;
"This technique has been identified as inhumane largely because coordinated signs of consciousness in severed heads often continue for long periods after decapitation (Cooper et al., 1989; Warwick, 1991) This situation probably arises due to the resilience of the reptilian nervous system to conditions of hypoxia & anoxia (Belkin, 1963; Cooper et al., 1989) which allows post-decapitation neural function.

For more info on the subject, read the book.
It just goes to show that you should always keep an open mind.
This is the sort of information that should be used to educate the mis-informed.

By the way, good on you Baz.

Last edited:

I think LB is right. Why bother trying to educate people?

LB if you honestly think that education doesn't help to change people's minds then i think there is little hope for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back