Soft and squishy swcp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsabaxr

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all my carpet has gone all soft and squishy in the last 2 weeks. I fed her 2 weaner rats for the first time a week ago they were 60g each, Its like she has loose skin now. She also seems pissed off. Her poo also changed this week and it was a little runny and lighter in colour. ARE THESE SIGNS OF ILLNESS???? her temps are 33oC 24/7.

Thanks

Matt

wot location of carpet? how long have u had her? are you handling her? more detail will help. the more you can tell the better

Title states swcp, south western carpet python.
Sounds like you're worrying too much.
But just in case. What do you mean by loose skin? Is this in the last third of her body?
When was her last shed? How old/big?
Photo?

as bucky has said , the more info the better, i hope the entire enclosure isn't 33c 24/7 and she has somewhere to cool down ! You said you fed her 2 weaner rats for the first time last week... are you saying this is the first feed she's had with you or the first time she's had rats ?

to help you answer the Q's you will get asked:

How old is she?
how long have you had her?
what temperature ranges do you have in her tank?
Do you know if she is due for a shed ?
Have you been handling daily ?

Um thats all i can think of at the moment, we'd all like to help, but you were definately a little light on the info :)

I dont have my camera with me but she is 18months old, weighs 500g and is 1300 long and i handle her every day. When she is coiled on a branch her mid section flatens like she is all relaxed and flopt and the last couple of days while handling her the last quater of her body flops around like she has no strength. I was thinking it might just be from the increase in food size. Yeah u might be right about over worrying but just in case:)

Does she grip on to you with her tail?
Her last quarter not having strength could mean something serious...
Does she climb well?

IMG_1239.jpgIMG_1241.jpgIMG_1238.jpgHere are some pics i all ready had on the comp. I mean her first feed on rats, she was on 3 adult mice a week for the last 3 months. She is due for a shed next week.

She is griping me and climbing but not as well/strong as 2 weeks ago.

18 months old and your feeding weaner rats? my 7 month old Darwins on weaner rats ! I'd probably switch back to large adult mice, she may not be getting enough nutrition out of weaners (only cartlidge and underdeveloped organs rather than solid bone and mature organs) , Have you changed supplier for your food, maybe you got a 'bad batch'

I wouldn't be too concerned about 'worrying to much' at least you care and dont have a 'it'l be alright' attitude, if there is something wrong, better to suss it out now, rather than have to post a 'my python passed away' thread....

Beaut enclosure.

Yeah that doesn't sound good.. more info on the 'floppy' back half. Would you say it is 'paralysed'? Can she grip you with her tail?

for a start i would stop handling her for a week and give her time. do you give her time to digest food after a feed? or do u handle everyday even in the few days after feeding? some time left in the encloisure would be a good idea. larger food as already said and keep an eye on her for possible damage to spine in rear section. i have heard of snakes falling from branches in enclosures and doing damage. i could be wrong but hope it helps.

Leave her be until she sheds. Then report back.
I recently had a friend in north QLD who got a hatchy off me freak out and started saying it was "losing motor control" and "couldn't move properly". It was also "bulging like it wasn't digesting"

Turns out it was just saving it's faeces for an upcoming shed and has returned to it's old self again. Nothing was wrong.

Wait until she sheds, then see how she is.

i leave her for two days after feeding and yes her tail stil grips and moves freely it just flops around like she cant be bothered usin it and it seems she is sensitive to touch around tail area. I've been trying to get her to take rats for 6months and now that she has its caused an issue it seems. The mice and rats were from different places, also when she striked the rat she fell from that top left corner branch in the picture and was only holding on by her tail. thanks for all the help guys

when she striked the rat she fell from that top left corner branch in the picture and was only holding on by her tail. thanks for all the help guys
i wouldn't be to concerned about the tail swinging, my 6ft coastal does the 'pendulum' act quite often, its amazing how strong their tails are when they are allowed to have climbing room, as has been said, maybe wait a little longer until after she has shed, if she's reacting to her tail being tickled, i'd suggest that's a good sign, maybe she's just uncomfortable coming up to her shed.

my jungle takes off if his tail is touched so dont be worried bout them bein sensitive or jumpy when you touch the tail area. just give her time and keep an eye on her.

Thanks Guyz ill keep u all up dated:) ur help is of great value

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back