Solar Powered Fountain Pumps...Can They Be USed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher69

Reaction score
Jus wondering if a solar powered pump would work inside an enclosure utilising a full spectrum light?

How anyone tried?

Or am I missing some facts when it comes to solar power...?

IT could would work. But you'd need it to get a good amount of light. I run a solar powered thermometer off the viv lighting. But it only needs enough to power an LCD screen really. I'm guessing a fountain pump is 5-10W which would need a lot more power.

So you're suggesting a longer daylight cycle inside the viv?

No I'm just saying it will need to be bright. I don't think the fountain pumps have battery storage either. So no light no water flow.

yeah there's no batt storage...but then again, "no light no water" may be ok especially if the sound of trickling water at night may be a nuisance.

Juz thinking about setting up a green tree frog enclosure & having a water fall feature.

very easy way is to make an air pump
drop an air stone from a bait tank etc aerater into a bit of pipe
put end of pipe in water
by playing around a bit you will be amazed at how easily you can lift water and aerate at same time
first used by babylonians in their fish farms in the hanging gardens of babylon 3000 years ago
but a very effective very cheap pump that has been forgotten by most people

Cheers I totally understand using an air pump...same principle as an undergravel filter.

I can just imagine how tedious the process will be getting the right diameter pipe versus the length/height of the waterfall needed...

20mm pvc with a single outlet airpump can pump 40cm head hight. I used them on mattenfilters (google it) on fry tanks and it worked very well.
The smaller the airstone, the more even the overflow will be, using just airline will move more water but it will be an on/off type flow (2 second delay between overflows).
Don't forget the airstone is there to lift the water, not push it ;)

u can get the solar powered water pumps with battery storage , i have one here but i have never set it up and tryed it.

What did the babylonions use for an air pump? Not trying to be a smart *** I'm genuinely curious.

Both slaves and/or cattle turning wheels that inflated /deflated air bladders made from sheep/goat stomachs with pipes made from intestines
Same wheel pumpeds fresh water back up to the top level of the garden which were way above the river
Quite ingenious for the time and the first multi tiered fish farm in history because the fish effluent was used to provide nutrient to the flowers in the gardens and water lilies were used to strip the nitrates and nitrates from the fish water so that it didnt need to changed too often

To give some idea of how efficient they can be we moved 30,000litre per hour using 6inch pipe and 4.5 fine bubble air stone

The reality is that running a solar pump from an electric light is extremely inefficient. Approximate efficiency of common electric lights: Incandescant bulb = 2 - 2.5% ; Halogen bulb (still a form of incandescent bulb) = 3.5% ; Fluorecent bulbs = 9 - 11%. Pumps these days are very efficient and whether you set up air lift or use one with an impellor, is up to you. Just check out the wattage rating on each before you start.

You could try to separate the solar panel and place on the roof facing North and at about 10[SUP]o[/SUP] greater to the horizontal than your degree of latitude. You will get more out of it in winter doing that and you don't need as much power as it can generate in summer. I don’t know how much current you would lose with the wiring and low voltage but it may render the exercise futile?

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back