Sons new pet gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi id just like to post a few pics of my 4 yo son's pet gecko which he caught in the back yard the other day. We called him Bridgestone. I have now idea what sort of gecko or the best way to feed it is so if anyone could fill me in I would be very greatfull.

thanks

Its a cute little fella! I don't know what species it is.
Live, vitamin/calcium dusted insects and misted water should keep it happy.
What are the laws like over there about taking reptiles from the wild?
I know I used to do it as a kid and teenager too but you don't want to get in trouble and lose your licence.
Sorry to burst your son's bubble. :cry:

lol Rennie, I read the top and then looked through the pics thinkin'
"I wonder how long before someone says what a criminal he is"

Don't worry too much Snake, the authorities dont really kick doors down at 4am anymore.
A gecko caught in the backyard by a kid is hardly taking from the wild!!!!
I notice a regen tail too - animal cruelty case maybe? lol
We have water skinks and garden skinks and asian house geckoes my kids catch all the time,
What better way for a kid to get a love for reptiles.

I love the name you gave him!!
Catch some moths for him and mist him daily til he is over his shed,
Cheers
Ad

I think it could be a Southern Marbled Gecko Christinus marmoratus. I don't know about SA but here in Vic you don't need a licence to keep them.

Regards David

know I used to do it as a kid and teenager too but you don't want to get in trouble and lose your licence

ditto, cept i was in vancouver and i caught aligator lizards(skink species) and garter snakes(didn't keep the snakes long didn't know what to feed em but the aligator liizards were varacious feeders.). all of which i would let go, and once i caught 2 females who were pregnant(i didn't know this when i caught them, just thought they were fat) and they had babies and i got to release all 12 babies and the two moms back where i found em.

if there a species that dosen't have to be kept on licence then i would say letting your kid keep it especially when its going to be well looked after shouldn't be a problem, as they said the gov't isn't going to bust down your door at 4am looking for a gecko. though you could do what my mom did and let him keep it for a while then let it go.

andrew

sounds good, The laws in SA are pretty laxed when it comes to wild life. Over here you can own 1 snake without a licence, if you want more then you get a basic licence. thanks for the info though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back