South African Black Spitter

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakes_Incorporated

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Not an Australian specimen but a South African Black Spitting Cobra

DSCN2375.jpg

DSCN2380.jpg

DSCN2383.jpg

DSCN2384.jpg

DSCN2378.jpg

nice i love it how it looks almost plastic cause of the shine of it looks like new plastic lol

Beautiful snake, great pics
,The yellow plant in the background looks like the aussie weed ragwort.
I think it came from south africa originally and it just goes crazy here.

It's not a Rinkhals, Moose - its a Black Spitting Cobra. There are several varieties that spit. I'm guessing this is Naja woodi.

Some great photos there Snakes Inc.!

:p

Hix

Did it spit at you? magic looking snake.

Looks like it has not shed its tail?

donk

nice snakes over there im going over there to go surfing but also will find some snakes to take photos of but if i come across that snake ill make sure i have my sun glasses on. i luv elapids, but my favorite snake over there is in west afriaca, the gaboon viper.
cheers steve

OMG that is madness!!! Is it true they are one of the most aggresive species of cobra?
DSCN2384.jpg

Naa, not aggressive. This chap is shy and very elusive. If someone interferes with the fellow the first reaction is to take flight and hide. If this is imposable the animal will stand its ground and spray / spit venom at the eyes of the attacker so as to hinder the vision so the snake can make a safe get away.

The Rinkhals is also a splitter and found in the same area, as this chap but is not black at all. Some are banded and others are gray dark brow. Rinkhals is an Afrikaans word meaning a collar around the neck

Arhinkals.jpg

Rinkhals2.jpg

Rinkhals77.jpg

He looks like he's about to spit in that second shot!

:p

Hix

Die eerste slang is die mooiste Cobra ek ooit gesien!!! ;o)

Send me a PM, be good to chat about herping in SA and where it's heading. Was last there in Dec'06 but didn't go to many of my old herping spots to see if numbers have maintained themselves.

Rob

When i was 12 i ran into a black spitting cobra in the bush it was huge (back when i was a lil fella) and that was what inspired my love for all things herp :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back