Sparky help please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's correct Snowman and the reason we use 20A breakers, same with lighting as well if you use 2.5mm cable.....
Cheers mate, take care!!
Tired of arguing electrics, this is a herp site...LOL

lol yeah mate this thread was informative in the beginning but the last few posts were all gibberish to me! haha. lol

im an electrical apprentice in vic and on all domestic jobs we do we use 16a breakers for power and 10a for lighting. also 1mm cable has not been phased out and is quite common, 1.5mm cable can be used if longer runs are needed due to less voltage drop with its increased size. technically you can have as many light points or power points on the same circuit as long as the circuit is protected by the correct sized breaker.

Mate you can not put as many as you want lol. Read your AS3000, There is a limit.

alright table c8 in as3000 shows the max amounts but is a recommended guide only. legally you can have any number of points as long as cable is protected by correct circuit breaker.
page 375.

Mate what i meant was your giving advice over a public form, and said that you can have as many as you want, you didnt say anything about cable size to suit or anything like that, thats all mate im not trying to prove anything. You are technically right but is it advice to give to people who dont have you lic. You dont want someone putting 50 gpos on one 2.5mm and burning up. I know that they are protected and cbs fail a fair bit too.

Whitey you are correct and a general rule of thumb is 20A breaker means no limit on number of outlets. There is nothing wrong with giving out information that comes from Australian standards on a public forum. It a relatively new rule (last decade or so) so some people may not have glued in the amendments or bought a new copy of as3000.

lol thought my teachers must have been feeding me lies for a second there.

In addition there is nothing wrong with unlicensed people having knowledge. You don't need a license to buy AS3000 or any other Australian standards. It is however illegal to perform electrical work without a licence. Yet bunnings still sell all the gear to the public. Clipsal took a stance on this and only sell via electrical wholesalers.

Hope you are enjoying your apprenticeship Whitey. There's good money to be made as a sparky. Especially in WA where $100-200k is very obtainable in the resource sector.

In addition there is nothing wrong with unlicensed people having knowledge. You don't need a license to buy AS3000 or any other Australian standards. It is however illegal to perform electrical work without a licence. Yet bunnings still sell all the gear to the public. Clipsal took a stance on this and only sell via electrical wholesalers.

Guilty as charged.

Yeah best to switch from house bashing to commercial/industrial while you are still an apprentice. Site allowance and better conditions for starters! I did the same thing.

Thanks guys this has been a very informative thread, I have enjoyed reading it.

ive got a two 75watt globes,one 100 watt globe,one 200watt fish tank heater,fish tank filter,fish tank light,tv and xbox all on one 8 outlet power board. is that safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back