Spider ID Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjohnson64

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Crappy photos I know. I am in Melbourne and some friends asked me what this is. It is a big spider (check it against the brick). Velvety back. Was in a shed in a simlar environment to a red back. It wasn't carrying babies.

If you have quals in entomology please let me know in your reply (hey Hazz ;))

Attachments

• Spider 1.jpg
    Spider 1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Spider 2.jpg
    Spider 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Spider 3.jpg
    Spider 3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 101
Black Window Spider alright.
Get lots of those around here, they are poisonous.

what, a black house that is half the width of a brick (i.e. 5cm) in width??? I also said that but I have never seen one that big.

Oh, and after seeing that link it is nohting like that either

Oh, and it says body length - 17mm - so it clearly isnt a black house spider

Mate, theres a first time for everything.
Its defintley a black house just a big one,i have noticed that site
is not that correct with its measurement of size.
A house brick width is 7cm that spider looks no mor than 4cm wich is not uncommon.

pete my dad used to get heaps of those in his office and i was always told that they are called black house spiders.but i have never seen them that size so maybe i am wrong ?? but i AM always right lol

My grandfather got bitten in the eye in his chicken shed by one of these. Not a pretty sight at all!

He also made the front page of the local paper for wrestling a scrub python that tried to take his border collie!

My grandfather got bitten in the eye in his chicken shed by one of these. Not a pretty sight at all!

He also made the front page of the local paper for wrestling a scrub python that tried to take his border collie!

I was bitten on the hand by one once. Nothing serious, just hurt a little. Oh well, I don't tease them anymore :p

I'm gonna back the others on this one, I've seen them larger than 1.7cm

Id stick with Badumna insignis. Ive seen some big females up in the shed roof during summer, the heat drives them out of their hides.

Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back