spider ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotta

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
found this spider on my bed,is it venomous? its had reddish coloured legs/head, IMAG1698.jpgIMAG1700.jpgIMAG1699.jpg

I was bitten by one of these around 17-18 years ago, I remember having a mild reaction...I suffered from slight respiratory distress , was feverish and felt overall unwell, I didn't seek medical attention but it all passed with a couple of hours.

I don't know if its true but at the time I was told or read/seen on TV (cant remember which) that they are related to Redbacks, if not they certainly have a similar appearence....

As the museum article points out: “The female Cupboard Spider could easily be mistaken for a Redback Spider, but lacks the distinctive red stripe on the back. Both spiders are from the same family, Theridiidae (also known as comb-footed spiders), so they are closely related. However, the Cupboard Spider is not considered as dangerous as its Redback relative.”

It also goes on to say: “Bites from Steatoda species occur infrequently. In the past they have not been considered particularly dangerous to humans, however in a few recent cases of Steatoda bites where the spider has been identified, more serious symptoms have been recorded. In two cases, Redback antivenom has been used successfully to treat these symptoms.”

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back