Starting a brown tree frog tank setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblit

Reaction score
Hi I'm thinking about starting my first tank for some brown tree frogs. I'm a complete noob when it comes to amphibians I have experience in fish and shrimp tanks (if that helps).I am quite interested in the bioactive setups aswell. So I have a few questions before I get any tank setups or animals.

- what size tank for brown tree frogs
- what live plants would they like
- what humidity/ temperature and how to go about that
- How much of the tank should be like a pond area if any
- would the frogs eat the isopods and those bugs for the bioactive setup.

Sorry for the ensluaght of questions and thanks if anyone could help (and pictures of tank setups would help alot aswell thanks)

Hey mate, for a group of 4-6 l.ewingii a 3ft long 600h tank would be an ideal size, these guys will tend to use all the floor space and gives you heaps of room for a water feature big enough to keep a few shrimp and amber tetras etc.
They don't need heating even in the southern states, ideal temp range is 15-25°c but they will definitely benefit from having uvb.
These are one of the few aussie species that would do better in a semi aquatic or paludarium style enclosure and having a decent water feature in there will also sort the humidity out for you.
They may get an occasional isopod but most frogs will just spit them out anyways.
Easy to look after plants would be any pothos, epipremnum, philodendron, umbrella plant, parlour palms and whatever aquatic plants you like in the water feature just avoid peace lillies and dumb cane plants.

Hi,

Can I suggest you join the Frog and Tadpole Study Group. It is an excellent place for newbies to learn about frogs and how to get started.

Here's a link https://www.fats.org.au/

They can also be contacted via their FB page.

Cheers,

George.

Latest posts

Back