Step by step enclosure building!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO and in my own words (not copied from any other sources)
I would say 2 vents are best.1 down low and to the side or front to allow cool air to enter and 1 up high to expel warmer air.The size of the vents would be determined by the size of the enclosure.

Rather than spend money on vents and multiple i made template with 5 mm holes spaced at 20mm apart, and i think i had six rows of 10 or something and just used the template to drill the holes nice and even.
My holes went into a void in the middle of the bank of enclosures and i just put one exhaust fan on top.
It runs for 1 hour of a morning or you can use a bypass switch to run it when you want any other time like when it is too hot or if they have pooped and you want to clear their air.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Michael
PS Sorry to all others for getting involved with the recent argumants but id had enough, apolgies to all, including Mystic.

If you have a single enclosure maybe you could drill the vents either side and put one fan on the outside over one of the vents and use it to cross ventilate, and just have it there to run only when you want it, or you could hook it up to a thermostat so that if the enclsure gets too hot it runs until the temp comes down.

by plugging a cooling device into a thermostat how do you get it to turn ON when it gets to HOT as opposed to a turning ON when it gets too COLD... get me ?

To control a fan from a Thermstat that is reading to high a temerature to turn on you use a relay.
A relay has a power supply to it and it basically has a set of switches, some are normally closed and some are normally open, which means you can have power through a switch that opens when the relay is powered or closed when the relay is powered.
If you want to control a fan for over temperature then you bring power through the thermostat to the relay. When the thermostat is closed because the temp is down the relay closes its normally open contacts which would then power the heat lamp, when the thermo drops out the relay drops out cause it has no power, the fan would be supplyed through the normally closed contacts which close when the relay drops out.
You can use a configuration of relays and thermostats to control just about anything, it is limited by your imagination.
I am able to get thermostats and relays and all other electrical equipment at wholesale prices through our business, MJE Electrical, if you guys cover the post i can get anything you want, from heat globes, ceramics, fittings thermos, fluros, etc whatever, just drop a line and i can price stuff up for you.

Sorry for sticking my nose in here but rather than stuff around with relays etc I think it would be easier to use a cooling stat instead of a heating stat. These devices close on rise rather than fall of temperature. Would probably work out the same cost, (if not a little less), than a heating stat plus relay.

a cooling stat.. hmm. where would one purchayse such an item?
and whaat kind of fans are we talking about... something like a computer fan, doesnt this just circulate air? and wouldnt it cause harmfull drafts..?

im confused

Well if you want a completed plug in unit the Herp Shop is where I got mine but any electrical wholesaler or appliance parts ill sell the basic stat that you will have to wire yourself.

Keep it simple hey Africa, hehe, probably easier, i forget sometimes.
I use relays cause I control other stuff as well and i get em cheap.

Just looked through the site Maxy and youre right it's gone!!! Worth giving him a ring though as he sometimes drops slow moving items for the web space they take. I bought mine off him ages ago and he may even have discontinued them but it's worth giving him a call mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back