Stinky Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this quick tip.

Remember my stinky new enclosure I couldn't get the one pack polyurethane fumes smell out of? ... well it's stinky no more.

According the the Dr Paint web site and Afrifishyemployedthingy, a cut onion in a pan of water absorbs fumes and removes the smell...

Gave it a go, and whaddya know, it worked.

Unfortunately Baby is about to shed, (which could take a week), so I won't move her right now. ...but the enclosure is ready when she is.

:D

Hi Nicole,

That sounds like a very handy tip to know! Just one question though - Even though the smell is gone, are all of the fumes gone as well? I don't want to be negative, but I don't want you little one to get sick either....

Could you let me know the link to the site you got that from. I would be very keen to have a look, as I am about half way through a new enclosure for my Carpet.

Thanks,

Daniel

:)

Enclosures for carpets are usually called houses, I think. :oops: [sorry!]

I would think it is safe to say that if you can't smell it, then it should be ok for the snakes. I think it was Africanthingamajig who said, in a previous post, that his test is to stick his head in the enclosure and take a big sniff. If he then does NOT sit on the floor staring into space for half an hour or so then it should be ok.

This is quite interesting. What is it in the paint that smells. Is it the solvent or the pigment/solids. With polyurethane the smell isn't like any of the normal paint solvent I've used, it's a heavier smell. I reckon its the solids that smell. Which leads me to believe that when the solvent has evapourated there is still a stink. I think the solvent would go within a day or so leaving the longer term smell of the solids. I also think that the solids in polyurethane would not be toxic (as we see it applied to all kinds of thing around the house) and the smell is just not nice. So to sum up, I think even if you can smell it after a few days, it's probably not harmfull, just a bit stinky. :shock:

Hi Fangs..

Here is the 'Ask Dr Paint' site the onion tip was found on:
http://www.paintstore.com/drpaint/drpaint.html

and here's the fumes bit:
http://www.paintstore.com/drpaint/archives/707.html

I wiped down the surface, left the heat running, with a fan forcing air in for ventalation, but it was the onion that got the fastest results.

Even so, we've (read I've) decided the finish isn't good enough to live in our loungeroom, and we are uninstalling electricals and going for coat number 4... so I'll be using the onion tip again when we get this last coat on... Oh the waiting... :(

Just my two cents but a container with lid with a few holes in filled with bicarb soda should do the trick 4 any odour! hey it rhymes!:) but make sure snakey cant piddle into it, dont know what effects snake widdle and bicarb might be.

I am using onion trick for some time and happy with it. I think i mention this while ago in herp help.
My misus is thinking to put bowl of onions next to me after diner. Bit rude she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back