Studying Zoology help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that hard, you just have to want it

I work as zoological research assistant. That means I work on research projects collecting data (trudging through paddocks getting chased by snakes, bees, ants, bulls, carrying heavy things, getting sunburnt, dirty, boring and exciting on different days). I also do office based things like writing reports, analysing data (maths), beg for project funding, go to meetings with clients, participate in academic discussions about how to fix the world etc. I work with some brilliant minds and some average jo's who work really hard.

There are a lot of people that want these jobs, therefore you are often replaceable and you can't bargain for great money or job perks.

I didn't get a great score in year 12. I did a few things before uni like animal technology at TAFE, then wrote to the university and told them why I wanted to study zoology. I don't know what got me in, but getting in is just the beginning. You have to work hard at uni and do well. That means being enthusiastic, willing to learn, trying hard, late nights, maths, reading and writing etc. In your part time you might want eat so may also have to hold down a job. To get a job at the end of your degree you will need more than your degree. People say anyone can sit through lectures and exams. Doing volunteer work will help to set you apart. Honours will also show you can actually 'do' science, i.e. plan and execute a research project, write it up, come out alive.

You should also try to make friends at uni. They are the only people that will get your jokes, and they might also get you a job one day.

All of the lecturers and academics I have met have been wonderful people. It's an honour and a joy to work with such people. If you really try they will notice you and recommend you for jobs. Some of my uni friends now work in zoos, some work in consulting, some work on research projects and some have done a dip ed and teach. There is an endless array of jobs out there if you are good at what you do and people know it. The hardest part is knowing what you want to do!

Goodluck!

Well I put it last as an example, after pencil pushers. It's the rock bottom, isn't it? :D
What's the percentage of school teachers that retire early with depression and other stress related diseases? :D

teaching is great for the holidays...

I just followed my passions and ended up lecturing in a couple of Unis. Still have no serious qualifications in anything.

But I know a lot, I work in wild places, I get paid for it.

No complaints, but these days you need a qual, just make sure it matches with your real wishes (and do your homework!)

I just followed my passions and ended up lecturing in a couple of Unis. Still have no serious qualifications in anything.

I wish things were still like this. It's nonsensical how you need a qualification for everything. Whatever happened to on-the-job training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back