Taipan prolapse

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Austherps, if you even have him prolapse again, try using sugar and clean water mixed in a paste, it works a treat. Just give it a while, few hours, and the prolapse will go back in. Unfortunately though, if it keeps occuring it may need a stitch put in it to allow the muscle to strengthen as it has now been weakened.

Hey Hugsta,

Yeah I did read that on an iguana site... apparently the sugar draws out the fluid from the tissue, allowing it to shrink back in. I'll keep that in mind just in case it happens again ;)

Cheers,
Austy.

It certainly seems to be a much safer way when dealing with a taipan.....LOL

Hugsta, either way it has to be pinned and held lol... I think I'd be going with the sugar approach next time though, just to see how effective it is... and just because it's so much less invasive than pushing it back in (risking 'balling' the muscle up just inside the cloaca).

I don't envey you having to do minor surgery on a ven I think i'll keep with the non ven's for a while longer

Hugsta, either way it has to be pinned and held lol... I think I'd be going with the sugar approach next time though, just to see how effective it is... and just because it's so much less invasive than pushing it back in (risking 'balling' the muscle up just inside the cloaca).

LOL, yeh, they still have to be pinned and headed, but I'd rather do that for a few minutes, rather than the time it takes to push a prolapse back in.:shock: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back