Terrariums dose anyone have zoo quality tanks with more than one animal keep

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daryl_H

Reaction score
i was going to set up a very large tank as a display and was wondering if anyone out there dose do this type of stuff? i plan to set up a multi species large tank (Zoo like or better) i was thinking to have water and land with a very large fillter (to keep water pristeen) and a rain system (so it will actualy rain inside the tank) rocks logs plants to make this tank active at every level...i plan to keep water skinks, sothern green&golden bell frogs, hatchling short neck murry river turtles. and some fish that i havent decided on yet? can anyone help out with picks of there tanks? or ideas ;)

cmon guys someone out there must like this stuff

yep good luck with the project

selling house to fund project
priceless

nar im a glazier so the Glass is at cost and logs rocks dirt gravle lighting heating i already have from other critter projects so only thing i need to pay for is the critters plants and 1 small pump so run the rain system:D

For the rain system, try using over head sprayers/misters. These can be set to the amount of time you want them on. For the water area a good canister filter will work.

Could you tell us how large this is going to be? The short necks will be alright in there while there young but when there older its best to get them a pond.

For fish, white clouds mountain minnows, gambusia and if you want natives, try rainbow fish and blue eyes. These fish may get eaten by the turtles so dont get expensive ones.

If you want ideas, best bet is go to a zoo/ wildlife park and check theres out and ask a few questions.

Daniel

It won't be too dear really!! Especially if you are a glazier and have most of the landscape. Whats so dear about a pond pump for the rain system?? If you are a DIY kinda person these projects can be surprisingly cheap. The hardest thing you will encounter is drainage for the rain along with keeping the enclosure clean. Though if you imitate the natural habitat closely enough you are likely to create a mini eco-system similar to the Berlin Method used in Marine Aquariums where bacteria and micro-organisms break down all waste!

It won't be too dear really!! Especially if you are a glazier and have most of the landscape. Whats so dear about a pond pump for the rain system?? If you are a DIY kinda person these projects can be surprisingly cheap. The hardest thing you will encounter is drainage for the rain along with keeping the enclosure clean. Though if you imitate the natural habitat closely enough you are likely to create a mini eco-system similar to the Berlin Method used in Marine Aquariums where bacteria and micro-organisms break down all waste!

drainage is sorted ill drill a tap into the base of the tank

As has been said aim to create a mini eco system and most waste will be broken down resulting in minimal cleaning. Live plants etc will help achieve this. This is a project that without planning could go horribly wrong but with planning could be insane!! It sounds like you have it sorted.... now get working I want pics!:p

For the rain system, try using over head sprayers/misters. These can be set to the amount of time you want them on. For the water area a good canister filter will work.

Could you tell us how large this is going to be?
Daniel

not to sure if its going to be 120 cm or 180 cm long by 75 cm and 75 cm
as for the misters yes thats whats i used in a smaller setup but im going to need about 150 dripper heads as i want it to look real so a rain drop looks better than spraying mist

Are we talking glass tank or are we talking knock a bedroom wall out and make it full size walk in or rebated into a wall or what?? Am pretty interested in the caper lol.

goin up a size now 6 ft by 3ft by 3ft on a stand not in a wall ha ha

Im actually waiting for my new house to be built, which shouldnt be to far of atm, but I am planning something very similar, but the diff is mine will be outside, the whole length of the house on one side, also up to the eaves tall etc... unfortunately pics etc will have to wait a while,

Regards...
Ash...

I have a six foot tank with pond for Eastern Water Skinks with small Platies ( a bit like small Sword Tails without the tail extension ) in the pond.
The pond is 1/3 of the tank with under gravel filter with power head and an air riser returning water from a second bio filter the pond overflows into so their is virtually no cleaning. The Water Skinks eat the fish from time to time and I sometimes buy feeder shrimp for them.
Live plans in coir peat soil are Herringbone fern, Mondo grass and a Bonsai Fig Tree.
I don't think you could keep turtles in this as well as I think the waste load might be a bit much. I have considered frogs in the same set up and have read somewhere adult frogs and water skinks do OK together. You would have to watch the sizes of young as each may try to make a meal of the other.
I would rather get some experience with frogs in their own set up before putting them together.

No fancy rain system. I just water the plants and mist the rest of the tank with a spray bottle.

Check out the album in my profile if you want to see photos.

I would make the water cover the whole tank and have islands made out of rocks and gravel to allow some water flow and something for the plants roots to sit in.

Small archer fish would be excellent in a setup like this, although there are heaps of other fish that would also be fine. Some small invertebrates like shrimp or crabs would be a good addition too. You could probably also keep some sort of treefrogs in there if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back