Terrestial Gecko's?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodie

Reaction score
I've got a 3ft fish tank that needs something done with it. Would like to house a trio (if not a few more) of terrestial gex in there. Any suggestions? I love Oedura's and Strophurus but I know their aboreal..

Would it also be alright to place a heat cord under the substrate?

Dunka

I'd personally say go a smaller enclosure. A 2ft enclosure will comfortably house a trio of nearly any available terrestrial species. Many Diplodactylus species are only small and people even breed them in enclosures smaller than 2foot.

However, commonly kept and bred terrestrials such as Nephrurus levis can be housed in 3foot enclosures with about 4 individuals, possibly 5. Make sure only one male is present in an enclosure.

I was going to try to steer away from the more popular Nephrurus genus, I do like the look of them but there are far more appealing geckos to me.

It's just a 3ft tank that I have available and don't really want to go spending money unnecessarily. I don't mind giving them more space than they need, unless this has a negative impact?

Having larger enclosures is obviously good for animals like Dragons, Goannas etc but the only problem with larger cages and geckos is the animals locating their prey. If you know the animals will be able to get their feed, I cannot see a problem in having the larger enclosure.

alot of people think that because the animal naturally lives in the wild with unlimited space they will do fine or better in a large tank. In the wild there is an almost unlimited supply of food so easy to find whereas in captivity you only chuck a few in so in a larger tank they can have difficulty locatng prey. You could put a divider in and keep 2 trio's of smaller terrestrial geckos.

I really don't think you can go wrong with 1.3 Underwoodisaurus millii. They are hardy, cheap, big, active and terrestrial - exactly what you're after! Technically they are Nephrurus as well.

P.S I will reply to your PM tomorrow, we've hit a bump with production at the worst possible time.

Cheers

Thanks guys, U. millii does seem to be the best option for my first gecko's.

If anyone will have some for sale soon please Pm me. I will place a wanted add soon too.

Thanks

I've kept a trio of thick tails in a 4ft tank, also done a pair of ctenotus regius in a 4ft and have had a single water skink in a 2x2... Why not?
I agree with Jonno, thick tails are the way to go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back