The Arafura File Snake (Acrochordus arafurae)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
hi all,
i just have another question, im pretty shore i want one because they live totaly in the water and i have a spare 5 footer tank just wondering does anyone have bad stories about this snake or know something that i might not know that i shoud know befor getting this snake

Thanks for the help
ashley

From what I've heard and read they are fairly hard to keep.

Many years ago, I have kept a similar Indonesian sub-species, they were commonly called 'Elephant trunk' snakes.
I found the wild caught animals that I had to feed well on live fish, but they needed their water changing alot, and a good amount of airation.

Also found that you should make sure the tank lid is very secure, as they can climb out if the water is high or you have branches half submerged.

Easy to handle, although they aren't that keen on handling, never got bitten

Sorry it's not much in the way of info.

Neil

At the taronga zoo where i did my work xp i had to feed them and all they ate where live gold fish basically. But other then that their setup seemed simple enough. Just a filter and sum pvc pipe for them to hide in.

Regards Ether

Arafura file snakes are very hard long term captives. They do get very large (though slowly) up and over 2m...do you have a 5m fishtank?

OK if you have a huge fish tank and are prepared to spend 20-30 buks a week feeding it as an adult...notto mention the need for bio filters etc...then get one! Very cool animals

If anyone is getting these fine animals, (I'd get 'em myself if they were allowed in Victoria), I am selling off all my fish equipment including filters, heaters etc. MUCH cheaper than the shops :)

i to have about 7 heaters, 3 filters and a few tanks if anyone is interested , as well as some fish and tanks. pick up only.

i was speaking to a guy at melbourne reptile warehouse and he told me they arnt aloud to keep them. does anyone know why? if they escape they wouldnt get to far on land and they would die at winter in they escaped

Like any snake they aren't hard to keep provided you set them them up right, i know a couple of people who keep them and they throw about 20 goldfish in at a time and the fileys pick them off when they want them.
From what i gathered the PH levels where the hardest part, they can also be kept together, i've seen 4 (around 3ft long) in a tank about 1400Wx600Dx500H.
Lots of hollow logs and branches for them to hide in.

I've got the perfect tank here for them, it is such a pity we can't keep them down here :(
The tank is already full of a very expensive meal for them too :twisted:

what iws that meal afro? a nice big black belt? or some frontosa??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back