the cane toad must be stoped.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mukman

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Cane toads are a major problem in Australia, so bad in fact they are a declared Key Threatening process under federal Legislation in the Environment protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999(EPBC Act). They are one of the worst invasive species in the world. Cane toads breed up into huge numbers and dominate the ecology in the area.The are listed as a threatening process because they kill native predators, compete with native wildlife for food and breeding and shelter sites and eat native wildlife.
To kill a toad humanely, the easiest approach is to pick the animal up (gloves are a good idea, to ensure you don’t get exposed to the toad’s poison!) and put it in a plastic bag, then pop the bag into the fridge. After a few hours the toad will be pretty much asleep (although still very much alive) and you can pop the bag into the freezer. Leave it there for a long time – preferably a few days

Last edited by a moderator:
please post if u agree or dissagree
also if u no hoe to make e petittion thing plz tell me

IF ONLY we could find a good use for them, I mean comercialy,,(Skins or some sort of chemical produced within them((Maybe even medicinal)),, You'd see how quick they would dissaper...

One thing i cant understand is the effort that was put into the control & eradication of Solenopsis invicta "Fire ant" by the SEQ gov... & yet nothing on that scale for the cane toad. I would gladly support a gov. funded program similar to that of the fire ant. I am in the earthworks game,, & I honestly never thought they would get the ants under control... But in my mind they have done a pretty good job. & it only took them a few years!! Imagine what we could achieve in 10 yrs through a systimated program if we were willing to pay a bit.

The key is effective mass media education, & make it the cool thing to do.... Just like the SEQ water crises,, eventhough we have got plenty of water now,, I dont think there would be a normal person out there that would waste water like we used to.... The same could be for the toad population if it was managed correctly!!

Dont quote me but I heard that the secretion from their skin is a good source of beauty therapy cream......
or they are a good replacement for shark fin soup......

lol kupres theres a big difference to killing an ant nest and poisoning the water to kill cane toads. poison water everythin would die.
plus the reason behind eradicating fire ants is that people actually died from them.
Off the top of my head i cant remembeer anyone dyin yet.
People would rather save the lives of people then of animals, as simple as that

Here are some Cane Toad tadpoles,
On my folks farm in a small dam.

Attachments

• zIMG_3508a.jpg
    zIMG_3508a.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 112
  • zIMG_3512a.jpg
    zIMG_3512a.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 91
  • zIMG_3510a.jpg
    zIMG_3510a.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 70
IF ONLY we could find a good use for them, I mean comercialy,,(Skins or some sort of chemical produced within them((Maybe even medicinal)),, You'd see how quick they would dissaper...

Actually finding a practical use for the toads (especially medicinal) would create a reason to preserve them...

lol Licky!! Who said anything about poisoning water???

You mentioned that as if I suggested that..

FAR FROM IT!!...

What a wild & primative way in dealing with the problem!! There could be many different effictave ways in eradicating them effectivley.

Second of all,, we didn't eradicate ants because they have a small chance of killing someone!! There are many things that kill here in AUS,, Anamial & non-anamial alike. We controled them because they are an INVASIVE species that can cause harm to flora, fauna & yes humans!! The trick is to convince the public to beg the gov. that the Cane Toad is in a similar cat. worthy of action.

Veredus. There is a difference between "preserved" in the context I believe how you ment it,,, & a controled program,,, That is if there was a particular use for this pest.

Ad, you feed your tadpoles Bread? If you want them to grow faster use turkey mince mixed with high protein gold fish flakes. It also intensifies their beautiful; colours.

Ok, on a serious note, isn't there some mob mulching Toads like they do to carp? If the govenment was serious about eradication them the could do what they did with wild dogs -dollars for scalps but make it so many $$$ for x amount of kg's maybe?

I'm off to put up a "STOP - No Toads Beyond this Point" sign now.

If you have nothing relevent to say in this thread...please don't bother.

One of the Barefoot Bushman's DVD's (available from the Herp Shop) clearly demonstrates how to cook and eat the legs. This can be done quite safely as there is no toxin in the legs.

Soo... all we need to do is educate the Frogs to eat toads legs and not frogs legs we will have a booming export market.

While i lived in darwin i always did my bit to help by collecting them and culling humanly. I was actually quite suprised, i first left darwin in 04 and there were only one or 2 of them around, came back in 07 and there were thousands of them.
I also noticed there seemed to be less lizards and dragons around the casuarina beach foreshore. I dont know if thats due to cane toads...but id imagine it would to some extent because they eat everything.

lol kupres how would u go about stopping them?
and how would you go about tricking people?
people get out the golf clubs and the bats of alsorts and swing away.

I have a cane toad as a coin purse thingy on my keys. I would pay someone top $$ to make me a set of car seat covers made of cane toad leather, but i want their heads etc stitched into the leather to make it look real gruesome :D

what we need is a parasite or a diesese. u no what i say, when in doubt use leathel bio chemicles

what we need is a parasite or a diesese. u no what i say, when in doubt use leathel bio chemicles

mukman did you check out the link to Rick Shine and 'Team Bufo' I left in your visitors messages. Some of the research that they have done looks into things like control through viruses. There is also a lot of info on thier site that helps cut through a lot of the misinformation out there and will give people an idea of what could work and what has been proven not to work.

One of my favourites is how Cane Toad tadpoles will eat Cane Toad eggs.

I guess if all else fails then we could fall back onto 'plan B', introducing Frenchmen.

lol LICKY. Once again, You talk about tricking people as if I mentioned or suggested to trick people into something,,

I really dont know what you are trying to get at?? What i said was---------"The trick is to convince the public to beg the gov. that the Cane Toad is in a similar cat. (catogary) worthy of action."--------

There is no need to try & trick anyone into believing that the Cane Toad is a real & evident problem to our ecology.

Find some meat ants. Apparently they are a newly discovered predator of juvenile and baby cane toads and don't die. They might only feed off small ones but thats more little ones that don't get to grow up and breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back