The origin of the universe

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, as Lawrence Krauss notes in the video below, we'll (or other civilisations, perhaps) will reach a stage where the rest of the universe is moving away from us/them at a rate faster than the speed of light.
Thus, in the future, us/other civilisations won't see anything beyond our/their own galaxy.

Oh, and in the video, he also explains how "something" can come from "nothing" (although his classification of nothing as a physicist is somewhat different to what apologists / theologists attempt to use in order to devise cosmological-type arguments)..

'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, AAI 2009 - YouTube

I believe if you search around, Victor Stenger (yet another physicist) also has articles on this matter and argues that it's very hard if not impossible to define 'nothing'.

Will knowing what happened in the beggining be only possible by creating it?

Will creating it be the end of this universe therefore be the end of life in the make of a new one?

What is life??

Obviosuly you haven't seen the documentary "The Matrix"

We are all in a computer system run by computers and robots, we see what they want us to see, we are only alive in our minds.

Come on this is an easy answer,
Obviously you all took the blue pill.

I obviously put that to rest.

Last edited:
There's a lot of stuff here that hurts my brain a lot. Turns out since I left school, I've gotten a lot stupider. However, all I have to say in response to all you scientifical types is:

First there was nothing. Then God said "let there be light!"
There was still nothing, but now you could see it.

:D

I'm not really sure what started it all, and I think that it's something that may never be proven one way or another, because people are far too busy squabbling with each other.

If science is right, the origin of the universe was probably an accident.
If religion is right, the origin of the universe was probably a mistake.

Is it tho? Is the force really instantaneous?

For general relativity to work you'd have to assume that gravity does actually move - stretching out across the cosmos. Which means that somewhere out there, is the end of gravity... Or, gravity caused by the Earth or even the sun....

This is from the New Scientist The Speed of Gravity: Einstein Was Right! the article I usually make the students read (I am so mean).

"Sir Isaac Newton thought that the speed of gravity was instantaneous, and Einstein assumed it traveled at the speed of light. Although scientists believe that Einstein was right, for nearly a century no one had been able to directly measure gravity's speed. However, on September 8, 2002, an international team of scientists did just that, using an experiment conceived by Sergei Kopeikin, professor of physics and astronomy at the University of Missouri-Columbia."

"They found that gravity does move at the same speed as light. Their actual figure was 1.06 times the speed of light, but there was an error of plus or minus 0.21. The results were then announced at the 2002 American Astronomical Society annual meeting in Seattle, Washington."

So - there you go... Gravity, although a force, actually takes time to 'register'.

Somewhere out there, in the vast nothingness of space, lies the edge of the gravity of our solar system. The Sun's light, as far as it reaches, the faint twinkle in the night's sky on some distant planet... Is also the force of gravity reaching out to the very same tip!

The thing though, the amount of gravity is jolly small! (I guess the same for the light really, if you look at our sun, 150,000,000 km away and our closest star, for arguments sake let's say 4 light years away - huge difference in brightness - so gravity is similar).

Graviton particles. *nods sagely*. "Nook-you-ler" Slim, it's pronounced "nook-you-ler". "Nook-you-ler". *nods sagely again*

Cue the world renown scholar that is Adam Carolla

[video=youtube;aQMQxJKKjcU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQMQxJKKjcU[/video]

Will knowing what happened in the beggining be only possible by creating it?

Will creating it be the end of this universe therefore be the end of life in the make of a new one?

What is life??

Obviosuly you haven't seen the documentary "The Matrix"

We are all in a computer system run by computers and robots, we see what they want us to see, we are only alive in our minds.

Come on this is an easy answer,
Obviously you all took the blue pill.

I obviously put that to rest.

Actually, simulation theory is a serious theory/hypothesis put forth by some philosophers (long before The Matrix, which derived inspiration from it)
and scholars: Are You Living in a Simulation?

Still, it begs the question of how the universe outside of our simulated universe started (ad infinitum).

Here is the simple answer:

[video=youtube_share;Qhm7-LEBznk]http://youtu.be/Qhm7-LEBznk[/video]

And this.. is why I think humanity is doomed :lol:

This kid is asking the right questions..

[video=youtube;txqiwrbYGrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs[/video]

And this.. is why I think humanity is doomed :lol:

This kid is asking the right questions..

Drugs are bad kids....

The girl that couldn't work the mp/h thing wasn't that bad if you take a look at the end... She made an argument (not based on valid assumptions however) and requested her hypothesis be tested.

Her hypothesis was quite a long way off, but that's ok... Hypotheses are for that :)

Last edited:

[video=youtube_share;Qhm7-LEBznk]http://youtu.be/Qhm7-LEBznk[/video]

I'm just guesstimating here but I reckon he did not marry her for her intelligence.

funny... but that cant be real

Actually, simulation theory is a serious theory/hypothesis put forth by some philosophers (long before The Matrix, which derived inspiration from it)
and scholars: Are You Living in a Simulation?

Still, it begs the question of how the universe outside of our simulated universe started (ad infinitum).

Which pill did you take, sounds like both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back