The Tasmanian Tiger

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to think that there is a few out there, but even if there is how inbred and unpure would the species be? There was info a decade back about the possibility of cloning these guys, but there surrogate hosts were too small. To have a strong breeding programn set in place I believe you would need a population of at least 35 unrelated animals (mammals) to keep the species pure. Either way they are doomed.
Just glad we have a programn set in place fot the Tassie Devil for when they become exctint in the wild.

I would love to think that there is a few out there, but even if there is how inbred and unpure would the species be? There was info a decade back about the possibility of cloning these guys, but there surrogate hosts were too small. To have a strong breeding programn set in place I believe you would need a population of at least 35 unrelated animals (mammals) to keep the species pure. Either way they are doomed.
Just glad we have a programn set in place fot the Tassie Devil for IF they become exctint in the wild.
just fixed that up ^ :p hope they last -.- we are terrible things us humans

People will believe anything....like man landed on the moon:)! Some of that footage is definately a common or garden variety dog suffering from mange and the starvation/ poor condition that usually accompanies it.

If some reports are to be believed, we now have Thylacines on the mainland again!! (call me a sceptic....no, not a septic)

I've always been fascinated by the Thylacine and the chance they still could be out there for many years. You can't rule it out completely, but the chances are super low. Even if there were 100 animals still out there, it would have to be a multi-million dollar program thoughout all of the most remote parts of Tasmania to search for them. I'm guessing with lots and lots of motion sensing cameras.
I was thinking recently, I wonder if the massive decline in Tassie Devil numbers recently might aid the re-emergence of the Thylacine. But given the fox is now down there in Tassie, it will probably just help those buggers!
Yeah, sighting of potential Thylacine's on mainland Australia really doesn't help the credibility of the Tasmanian sightings!

I saw a thylacine in Arnhem Land...

tP6180128.jpg

That's no thylacine. But there is a nice painting of one 50 meters away (been all over Injaluk Hill about 30 times.

Here's the only known marsupial lion painting, from the Kimberly

20090527_thylacoleo_cave_ar.jpg

I dont think it's one of those either, they had a short face, massive forearms, front fangs and the rest of the teeth fused into shears. If they were still around I'd be packing heat on my bush strolls!

the fox is here but not common at all. as common as a tasmanian tiger one might say ;)

Just glad we have a programn set in place fot the Tassie Devil for when they become exctint in the wild.

Why would a host be too small, marsupials are minute at birth.

What is it then? Don't think i'd like to run into one on a dark night still.

That's no thylacine. But there is a nice painting of one 50 meters away (been all over Injaluk Hill about 30 times.

Here's the only known marsupial lion painting, from the Kimberly

View attachment 230801

I dont think it's one of those either, they had a short face, massive forearms, front fangs and the rest of the teeth fused into shears. If they were still around I'd be packing heat on my bush strolls!

My first trip up Injauk was with two white haired fellas. I asked the same question and was told it was a quoll (obviously from a carlia skink's perspective.)

Sum total of many questions (same one each time, with variations) over 30 years.

Dunno!

But not thylacine or thylacoleo.

I can't take a word of most of those guides seriously, they just tell the dumb balanda tourists what they think we want to hear lol. Until you get to know the smart ones of course.

I only called that one a thylacine because i saw it in an article about thylacines in Arnhem, i always thought it looked a little off though. But you would know as well as i do Steve, there's some depictions of animals in some of these caves that would have to be made up! I'll see if i can fish out some the crazy lookin ones i've seen.

My first trip up Injauk was with two white haired fellas. I asked the same question and was told it was a quoll (obviously from a carlia skink's perspective.)

Sum total of many questions (same one each time, with variations) over 30 years.

Dunno!

But not thylacine or thylacoleo.

Like this thing, what the hell is this meant to represent?!?!?! A drop bear?

154575_10150131057649408_784039407_8038964_2330520_n.jpg

Last edited:
Its a one legged person doing the toyota jump of course :p

[/QUOTE]

I can't take a word of most of those guides seriously, they just tell the dumb balanda tourists what they think we want to hear lol. Until you get to know the smart ones of course.

I only called that one a thylacine because i saw it in an article about thylacines in Arnhem, i always thought it looked a little off though. But you would know as well as i do Steve, there's some depictions of animals in some of these caves that would have to be made up! I'll see if i can fish out some the crazy lookin ones i've seen.

never seen anyone falling off a boat (or building)? Someone depicting a moment of mirth perhaps. Most of the fish paintings are brags.

Oh and early days there were no "guides". I've spent time up there with all ages and both genders. Always a revelation.

Best idea i can come up with is it kids being initiated to be rock painters just learning the trade...

Dont think so cobber, very deliberate, no nearby experiments. Whoever painted that did so at someone else's expense I reckon.

I recommend having a go at Josephine Floods' books, dated admittedly but the source info is 2-5 generations old.

This book? Amazon.com: The Archaeology of the Dreamtime: Story of Prehistoric Australia and Her People (9780732225445): Josephine Flood: Books

I'll order it now if you recon it's worth a gander.

Dont think so cobber, very deliberate, no nearby experiments. Whoever painted that did so at someone else's expense I reckon.

I recommend having a go at Josephine Floods' books, dated admittedly but the source info is 2-5 generations old.

Or is it this one?http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Art-Drea...=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324463374&sr=1-5

Archaeology of the Dreamtime and Rock Art of the Dreamtime I think.

Long and arduous reads at times but good information. I used both books for years and found them really useful. It's all whitefella science but well reseached and I have posed some of her propositions to senior countrymen with interesting results.

And this is going to be another Long Wet.

Last edited:
Here's one for all the optimists which i would like to be one,

It would be fair to say that they are extinct from tasmania. The problem was not only man with a bounty on them but mans best friend with distemper, they would not survive the disease and be inbred too much they would be weak and die off. The problem with tasmania is the tassi devil, if there was a carcuss somewhere then it would get eaten bones and all over night.

The mainland, they were extinct from the mainland long before tasmania, not so much due to man but due to the native dog, the dingo, you can see that they would make a kill and a pack of dingos would muscle on in.

The only hope i would have for the thylacene would be Irian Jaya/ Papua New Guinea. When the land bridge was there some 50,000 years ago the were all through this area. The

There would be enough food for them and no natural preditors.I agree thinking it would take millions of dollars to find one but where do you start.I suppose us humans will just wait for one to walk into a village or town somewhere and hope that someone has a camera.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back