Thermostats, particularly pulse.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fourexes

Reaction score
I have my enclosure all set up and running with a 50w CHE running an on/off digital thermostat. I initially went this way to control lights & have dual temp timing but as I don't have any lights and my python is still only 8 months old and doesn't require (nore would appreciate) night cooling I would like to go with a more reliable and efficient thermostat. I understand pulse proportional stats are best for CHEs, this leads me to pretty much two choices: Microclimate or Habistat. I've been leaning towards the microclimate because I can obtain them cheaper with a longer warranty. I'm looking at a BM2, while I would like to keep two stage timing for when my python gets older I don't like the night eye idea, what happens when you turn the light on in the room? A timer sounds alot more consistent.
Is it possible to get a timer instead of the night eye?
Also what is the difference between a black microclimate and a white one? Is there any difference?

Does anyone have any particularly negative/positive feedback about either stat?

I much prefer habistats,some here I have had running for over 10 years.
Look at the dimming type as opposed to pulse as they can be used on all types of heating and prolong the life of globes.

I was under the impression that the habistat dimming stats only dim down to 40watts? It's all setup, I just want a thermostat for this specific job. It's the last thing I have left to finalise for my setup. I don't really see myself using globes... ever.
The 50watt ceramic has been just enough this winter which means it will be more than enough through summer. If anything I have a 14watt heatmat leftover from the click clack I could use but even an on/off stat with tiles keeps a pretty consistent temp with that. Besides, I would rather use the click clack for another snake ;) hehe

I can get a habistat for little more than the microclimate, apparently the habistat can utillise a timer instead of the 'eye' can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Mounted behind a vent that only receives light when daytime lights in enclosure are on will work. I'm using B1ME in this fashion

the night eye on the microclimates actually works really well , just make sure you set it at dusk and follow the instructions and you can set the night time drop to 0 for while its a hatchy and it will stay the same as the day time temps , only thing is though ,when you turn the lights on in your room of a night it obviously turns back onto daytime mode

Thats what I'm worried about thomassss the room frequently sees light at night. I'd rather a timer. A bit of habistat advertising says this: "A VARIABLE DROP IN TEMPERATURE CAN BE SET TO GIVE A REALISTIC NIGHT TIME COOLING (NIGHT EYE MODULE OR TIME SWITCH NEEDED)"
What about the microclimate though.... will it accept a timer? I'm confused :facepalm: lol

edit: I now kind of understand how the habistat system works, so in theory should work with a generic timer. Now, is this do-able with the microclimate ME models?

Last edited:
To be honest I have a b2me and I have just made it do the thermostat is mounted the window behind the curtain. If you see a qualified electrician you can get the temp probe extended pretty easily. Failing that, the habitat has a magic eye that is detached from the thermostat

Thats what I'm worried about thomassss the room frequently sees light at night. I'd rather a timer. A bit of habistat advertising says this: "A VARIABLE DROP IN TEMPERATURE CAN BE SET TO GIVE A REALISTIC NIGHT TIME COOLING (NIGHT EYE MODULE OR TIME SWITCH NEEDED)"
What about the microclimate though.... will it accept a timer? I'm confused :facepalm: lol

edit: I now kind of understand how the habistat system works, so in theory should work with a generic timer. Now, is this do-able with the microclimate ME models?

iv been looking into the exact same thing it looks like the microclimate only has the night eye option which if your enclosure is in a room where the lights dont follow the pattern of the sun ie loungeroom its pretty much useless for what your doing. im gonna go down the path of the habistat so i can use a generic timer to control the heating for day and night which gives you more control anyway. did you end up going either way? any tips for me before i spend the coin?

cheers JB

not yet, you can let me know haha I'm still just using an on/off stat since it's on almost 90% of the time anyway in this cold weather. I'm leaning towards the habistat also for the exact reason you've described. Feel free to post how you go.

I use Habistat Day/Night Pulse Proportional Thermostats with ProHerp panels,works great for me,reps seem to like it.

JB, google the habistat website and read it and then do the same with microclimate.
Ive got dimmers and on offs of both companies ,i like the easy dial on the habistats and the screw type on microclimate can be annoying.
On both brands ive blown fuses and the microclimate was easy replaced as it had glass fuse and the habistat that was not a new one had a fuse that i couldnt replace,they may be glass replaceable now.
Think of the warranty on both types and what the australian distributors are offerring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back