Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These can be kept in NSW on a class 2 licence, I do not think there are in NSW collections at present. There are however a handful of private keepers with them in QLD that keep and breed them in outdoor enclosures. They are not restricted to any one particular ant species, in fact the common sugar ants around Sydney are sufficient. You also have to supply them with extreme heat duing the day, then greatly drop their night time temps to replicate the desert's temp cycle, if you don't live in their natural range. There were some up on herptrader.com a few years back for about $4000 from memory. The ones from Castle Hill show 2008 were from Alice Springs Desert Park.
Hope this helps.

Wow. Thanks for the quick replies. Its a pity that its not legal or easy to keep these wonderful animals as pets. I will continue to admire these animals but will unfortunately have to look for another pet. Who knows, maybe one day things will change and I will be able to get one some day.

Can anyone reccomend another small lizard for a beginner like me?

These can be kept in NSW on a class 2 licence, I do not think there are in NSW collections at present. There are however a handful of private keepers with them in QLD that keep and breed them in outdoor enclosures. They are not restricted to any one particular ant species, in fact the common sugar ants around Sydney are sufficient. You also have to supply them with extreme heat duing the day, then greatly drop their night time temps to replicate the desert's temp cycle, if you don't live in their natural range. There were some up on herptrader.com a few years back for about $4000 from memory. The ones from Castle Hill show 2008 were from Alice Springs Desert Park.
Hope this helps.
Are u sure your not thinking of a tawny dragon?
They do not have thornys on my species list?

I know of two keepers who breed them and do really well with them, they are endorsed to keep them. Thornys are found around these keepers local area so all they needed to do was attract the ants, this was easy bit, and they have been thriving ever since, the biggest problem i see with them is the ants kinda take over the yard and all other cages lol. They actually become a real pian in the **** (ants that is).

Yeah mate, I'm sure its not Tawny's :lol:
The reason they're not listed on the most recent list is because no-one held any at the time of the species code revision form earlier this year. The species name and code were on the 2005 edition of the species list.

ok thanks
I read a number or texts saying that they die in captivty, but after just reading up on it, it would seem that is incorrect
Just goes to show people can publish any who ha these days

With the right amount of care anything can be kept.
If a person has enough time and patients nothing will die..........
Are we able to keep them in vic as i would love one, i have the time to look after it

By the sounds of it, a thorny would not be ideal for me if it needs that much care.
Looking at getting a bearded dragon or something along those lines.

It's one thing to "keep" them outdoors in or in similar natural habitat, it's another to have them indoors on the coast....

thorny devils CAN be kept in NSW, provided you can aquire them from a legal source, anything Not on our licence system at current can be added, they will allocate a fauna code for the animal. This is information provide from DEC sometime back.

Hi magick81,

You're definently on the right track by asking questions BEFORE getting your animal- so many people do it the other way 'round! :rolleyes: Because of this, I'm sure you're going to have many years of enjoyment out of your new reptile/s when you get them.

As for small lizards around the thorny devil size, there are always geckoes. However if you don't mind something a bit bigger, may I suggest a bluetongue or a bearded dragon? (Or even both; they can be kept together.) They're easy and perfect for beginners.

Take a look at the DECC website, which has a list of animals that may be kept under the Class 1 Licence. From there you can pick out the ones that interest you and do a bit of research on them, as well as ask questions- everyone here is always happy to help. :) Let us know how you go.

you cant keep them in captivity it is impossible due to thier diet of ants they eat thousands of them a day anybody whos says otherwise if full of it

Haha, goodwork mate! Going by the length of the thread I'm guessing you've been corrected by now? There's a moloch at the museum, kept happily in a melamine enclosure and they have a few ant colonies to feed it. Contrary to what most people think they're very easy to keep in captivity and do very well.

Yes they keep them at the museum but they have entomologists keeping and breeding the ants for their food. It also took a bit of trial and error before they found the right formula.

Breeding the ants is actually very easy as well, they're heated, sprayed once a day and fed honey and dead insects, not much to it really.

How long have they had it? Lots of others have tried, and tried really hard and the animals loose colour and end up dieing after 12 plus months....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back