'Tis the season: orchids in bloom!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisso81

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a few pics of my collection. At the moment it's mainly Dendrobiums and Cymbidiums, however I have just started adding a few Dockrillias to the mix. If anyone has any pics they wish to add feel free, I know you're out there, secret orchidaphiles!

Cymbidiums:

Attachments

• cymbidium.jpg
    cymbidium.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 39
  • cymbidium1.jpg
    cymbidium1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 51
  • cymbidium3.jpg
    cymbidium3.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 40
Some nice specimans there Chris,
I never fail to appreciate orchids in their variety and beauty,
the most amazing plants,
Cheers
Adam

Some Dendrobiums, by far my favourite orchids!

Attachments

• dendrobium.jpg
    dendrobium.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 44
  • dendrobium1.jpg
    dendrobium1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 31
  • dendrobium2.jpg
    dendrobium2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 40
  • dendrobium3.jpg
    dendrobium3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 35
:) Moon orchids are my favourite flower, but thats all I know about them ;).
Yours are very beautiful! I love how orchids can differ so much between the types! Keep those pics coming!

And another 2 Dendrobiums and some I've found out and about, a nice patch of green hoods and some donkey orchids, they're a Diuris sp. or something like that I think:

Attachments

• dendrobium mount.jpg
    dendrobium mount.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 39
  • warrambool orchid1.jpg
    warrambool orchid1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 46
  • morestuff 025.jpg
    morestuff 025.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 43
  • showponies 043.jpg
    showponies 043.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Some nice specimans there Chris,
I never fail to appreciate orchids in their variety and beauty,
the most amazing plants,
Cheers
Adam

Cheers Adam, you're absolutely right, the variety and beauty of them is simply amazing and they're so hardy too. I think a lot of people get a bit scared because they seem so exotic, when its the same as keeping fish, snakes, anything, meet their requirements and they will thrive!

Miss kooky, do some homework, set yourself up correctly and you'll never look back, they are a joy to keep!

Orchids make me a bit sad but so happy as they remind me of my Pa who had about 50+

They are beautiful!!!

Chrisso, I'd have to learn to keep even weeds alive before I tried to grow something as delicate as orchids. ;) I'm getting some potted herbs in a few weeks and take my attempts at gardening in small steps. Hopefully they survive more than a month with my brown thumb of death.
Those little yellow ones are so pretty! You just found them growing somewhere? That's pretty cool!

my brown thumb of death.

That's hilarious, seriously, they are pretty easy to keep. As I am in VIC I go for the cold climate ones as they suit the conditions that I can provide the easiest. If I went for a hot climate/tropical species I don't think it would do as well, unless I went out of my way to provide the correct temps etc.

Those yellow orchids were just growing beside a walking track near my place, if I hadn't seen the flowers I would never have known they were there though.

BUMP, this thread is not disappearing before Hornet and the other orchid freaks get to see it!

yes, i am an orchid freak lol, i got some pterostylis flowering at the moment with a couple in bud. Got a calanthe just finishing flowering, bletillia just starting, sarco dilatatus, papillabium beckleri, some epi's, den's, dockrillia's, maxillaria close to flowering, liparis in flower, a bulbo budding up, dendrochilum and probably a few others, will get a few pics up soon.

BTW nice dendrobiums, i got a couple of tetragonum spiking and budding as well as a few other native dens coming along. Not a huge cym fan but some of the species and aussie hybrids are pretty nice. Get many terrestrials in your area? We get quite a few pterostylis species, some acianthus, arthrochilus, caladenia, chiloglottis, corybas, diurus and thelymitra's. Also a fer evergreen terrestrials like phaius, calanthe, cryptostylis and geodurum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love orchids, I can't wait for mine to flower. Mine are natives except for 2 that I bought - Cymbidium and something else that I am not sure of. I found some here in Caboolture, at mums in Buderim and I have some that came from some that Grandad found a loonnngggg time ago!
I think that cymbidiums would have to be my favourite, its a pity that mine is only a seedling :(

I love orchids, I can't wait for mine to flower. Mine are natives except for 2 that I bought - Cymbidium and something else that I am not sure of. I found some here in Caboolture, at mums in Buderim and I have some that came from some that Grandad found a loonnngggg time ago!
I think that cymbidiums would have to be my favourite, its a pity that mine is only a seedling :(

checked out the orchid stall at the sunday markets? i have picked up some nice species and hybrids there from time to time

Dendrochilum niveum
DSCF5736.jpg

DSCF5737.jpg

Sacrochilus dilatatus
DSCF5679.jpg

DSCF5680.jpg

DSCF5757.jpg

Papillabium beckleri
DSCF5759.jpg

Calanthe vestita
Specimen at a local show
DSCF5699.jpg

My specimen
DSCF5691.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice collection there Hornet! There would have to be a few terrestrials around but as I don't know what I'm really looking for they've escaped my eye. I've only found 3 so far, the green hoods, the Diurus and something else that I looked up but have since forgotten the name.

will get more pics up soon. Also just started breeding my own novelty intergeneric hybrids, doing some hybrids within the cattleya alliance, phaius aliance and the vanda aliance, just going to be using native species such as sarcochilus, plectorhizza, rhinerhizza and cross them with exotics such as phalaenopsis, vanda etc Will be good to see what comes from them

Is that the stall with the heliconias? Near the big shed, at the edge of the markets? I normally don't get up early enough and miss out on seeing all the nice plants.
Those orchids are beautiful! Very interesting, I don't think I have seen any of those before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back