To Touch? or Not to Touch?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rupes

Reaction score
Hi,
How much should I be handling my yearling carpets?
Some people have told me no longer than 5 minutes a day, per week.
Others have said 10 minutes a day, every day.
Awaiting your advice and replies on this subject.
Cheers, Tammy

Depends on the snake, generally speaking 5-10 mins every 2-3 days should not cause any harm. But different people will have different opinions.

I don't usually handle all of mine very much but I have heard that about 20 mins every couple of days should be fine. Not every day though, definately not around feeding time, I know from experience that they can regurgitate if you handle too soon (1 or 2 days) after feeding, and I have heard that it can possibly kill them too. You don't have to listen to me though because I'm only fairly new and probably wrong!

As much as you like, if it stops eating, your stressing the hell out of it by handling too much.
If it is still tagging you after 6 months every time you try to handle it (and its not anywhere near shedding or hasnt just been fed or is not due a feed) then your not handling enough.

Hatchlings in general will tag you, its natural defensive behaviour. Once you gain confidence and learn how to pick it up without alarming it, it will be less inclined to tag you.
Some snakes will tag you in their enclosure everytime (its a small space they cannot flee so they defend) but will settle quickly once outside it!
Not too long a time atleast at first, youll get to notice its body language when its had enough. Maybe not everyday either, its really up to you. :)

Thankyou for your swift replies. I will take your advice onboard.
Ta, Tammy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back