Top 5 Trojans this week! Pls READ

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonkisses

Reaction score
Be Alert for an eBay Phishing Scam!
Phishing Scam
How It Infects:
This scam message arrives via email. It is not a viral infection, and merely opening the email does not place your computer at additional risk.

What It Does:
This seemingly legitimate email message warns you that "your ebay account could be suspended," and attempts to get you to follow a link in the message and provide your account information on a "fake" web site.

This site does not belong to eBay and should be avoided. The link points to this site: http://www.ebush.org/eBay/.

Vulnerable Operating Systems:
Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP

Has "MyDoom" Got "YouDown"?
Win32.HLLM.MyDoom

New variants are being discovered daily this week.
How It Infects:
This virus is a mass mailing worm. It appears as a link to a executable file in an email message. The attachment must be opened to infect your computer.

What It Does:

This worm modifies your registry in order to appear as though it were executed by the operating system.
Searches your computer for email addresses not on its list of restricted domains.
Attempts to remove other software from your system registry.
Sends email to addresses found on your computer that link to the infector files.
Attempts to contact certain IRC servers.

Type:
Worm

Technical Name:
Win32.HLLM.MyDoom

Aliases:

W32/Bofra
W32/Mydoom.ah@MM
I-Worm.Bofra.b
Win32/Mydoom.AL.Worm
I-Worm.Bofra.a
Win32:Bofra

Top 5 Trojans this week!
Trojan.DownLoader.813
Trojan.KeenValAd
Trojan.DownLoader.560
Trojan.Bispy
Trojan.Ads

Can be contracted the following ways:

From infected email attachments.
By silent downloads from an infected website.
From another Trojan virus.

What They Do:

Download and install files to your computer.
Modify your registry so that the Trojan runs when Windows starts.
Track your browsing habits.
Generate targeted popup advertisements.
Log keystrokes and can steal private information such as passwords, bank account numbers, and email addresses.

Type:
Trojan

Beware of Online Banking Scams!
Phishing

What is Phishing?
Phishing attacks use "spoofed" emails and fraudulent websites to fool recipients into divulging personal financial data such as credit card numbers, account usernames and passwords, social security numbers, etc.

Are you at risk?
Everyone with an email address is at risk.

Recent phishing attacks:
Phishers make their phoney emails and websites look like they belong to legitimate and trusted companies. Recent phishing scams include fraudulent emails made to look as if they were sent from Citibank, Ebay, Visa, Keybank and Yahoo.

How to protect yourself?

Be suspicious of any email with urgent requests for personal financial information.
Don't use the links in an email to get to any web page, if you suspect the message might not be authentic.
Avoid filling out forms in email messages that ask for personal financial information.
Always ensure that you're using a secure website when submitting credit card or other sensitive information via your web browser.
Regularly log into your online accounts.
Regularly check your bank, credit and debit card statements to ensure that all transactions are legitimate.
Ensure that your browser is up-to-date and security patches are installed.

Are you at risk of identity theft?
Phishing

What is Phishing?
Phishing attacks use 'spoofed' e-mails and fraudulent websites designed to fool recipients into divulging personal financial data such as credit card numbers, account usernames and passwords, social security numbers, etc.

Are you at risk?
Everyone with an email address is at risk.

Recent phishing attacks:
Citibank, Ebay, Visa, Keybank and Yahoo.

How to protect yourself?

Be suspicious of any email with urgent requests for personal financial information.
Don't use the links in an email to get to any web page, if you suspect the message might not be authentic.
Avoid filling out forms in email messages that ask for personal financial information.
Always ensure that you're using a secure website when submitting credit card or other sensitive information via your Web browser.
Regularly log into your online accounts.
Regularly check your bank, credit and debit card statements to ensure that all transactions are legitimate.
Ensure that your browser is up to date and security patches are applied.

JPEG exploit defined and destroyed!
Exploit.MS04-028

How It Infects:
Currently the only reported means of distribution is by manual download through internet newsgroups. However, due to the nature of the exploit, the infection could easily spread beyond those borders. It is still in the early stages of its deployment.

What It Does:

Downloads software through which a remote attacker can take control of an infected machine.
Theoretically this can be a means to infect a computer as any Trojan could, including downloading other viruses and Trojans and corrupting your file system and registry. Of course, any resulting viruses or hacker attacks could cause further damage.

While the initial exploit is only in Windows XP, this could easily spread other viruses that attack other Windows Operating Systems.

Type:
Exploit

Technical Name:
Exploit.MS04-028

Aliases:

Bloodhound.Exploit.13
Exploit-MS04-028.demo
Exploit/MS04-028

Hello All,

I think we should have a Virus Board on here so we all can add the names etc as we find out about them so no one gets the viruses going around.

What do you guys think about havin a VIRUS BOARD just for viruses?????

PK

ok frist get Ad-aware 6.0, then get Norton SystemWorks 2005 for viruses good programs allwayz geting update if u havet got the programs and i will get it for u

Yes you have to make sure u have always antivirus fully updated !

Fuscus i have Norton 2004 What do you think is the best Antivirus ?

There is not "BEST" virus checker they all do more or less the same thing, as a file comes in it is checked for virus fingerprints and treated accordingly. Consider it an arms race, as virus checkers get better then virus's get better so then the checkers get better.
What your virus checker (and any security program except firewalls) MUST have is an automatic update that is run daily. One company I worked for checked every half an hour.
For those who are interested my security is as follows :
The internet server/gateway is a Linux machine with firewall on and set high. All internet access is though this box. This alone stops 99.99% of intrusion attempts, according to the logs I get around 4 intustion attempts an hour, almost all windows specific. All unknown and unused services are turned off, with windows sharing only turned on when actually in use.
The main windows machine uses XP and updates are checked daily. I use PC-cillin, again updated daily. I avoid using IE and outlook as much as possible and use Opera http://www.opera.com/ instead. Using a non MS browser means that you are not within target range of most nasties, the few I get are just placed in the cache and not run. Lastly I have the view extentions turned on, a file called picture.jpg**** will have a picture icon associated with it but is actually an executable program.
There are two other machines, a server development machine and the laptop (with win98 :roll:)which never connect to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back