Top of Descent

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sxereturn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone used this?

Is the basic idea, spray it liberally around the enclosure and on the snake (no head or water bowl), and there'll be no more mites?

We have been using it for a few months now. We have a turnover of wild caught animals and have been mite free so far. We spray the enclosure with the animal in it but not directly on the animal, just into the air inside the enclosure. Have not had any ill effects that we have noticed yet.

It is great stuff! Take out the water bowl and spray the enclosure with the animal still inside but don't spray the animal directly. Follow up spray at one and two weeks is what I did and haven't seen a mite since! Of equal importance to the spraying is the complete disinfection of all enclosure "Furnishings" just to make sure :)

i was told to put the snake in a bag and spray it directly :?

I've decided to go the Hypoaspis predatory mite route. Will let everyone know how it goes - if it fails I'll get some Top Of Descent and use that.

Hint - however reputable the person you are buying off is, never trust them when they assure you that an animal that has had mites is now mite free.

Big plastic tubs from a hardware shop are great for quarentine enclosures, just pop them 1/4 on a heatmat with a thermostat. Really easy to disinfect if you have any nasties come in with the new arrival and you can easily spot mites and stuff on the floor of the tub.

TOD has worked for me before, one thing i did notice with a new arrival that had mites and sprayed with TOD, is that the snakes eyes looked a little swallon, perhaps because the mites were agitating that area seeing it is a favourite hiding spot for them!Anyone else notice this, i did not spray directly at the snake either.

sxereturn, i have used the Hypoaspis mite... excellent thats all i have to say, they cleaned up the problem in no time (1-2 days max) and then died off after about 7 days, they get into everything (logs etc) so give it a good clean outhave never had a prob with mites again.

Orange medic is also not a bad product for the specific treatment of individual animals, dilute it in warm water at the same rate as dettol, and wipe it over the herp (staying away from heat pits on pythons, and use cotton woll around the face area)

cheers
matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back