Top of Descent

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjohnson64

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am off to do some mitre eradication tonight on a mates collection. I have heard two schools of thought on using TOD.

1. Keep the snake in the enclosure, and

2. Take the snake out of the enclosure.

John Weigla's book says to leave the snakes in. Whenj I did my snakes I hedged my bets and did the first spray with them out and the second one with them in. They are still alive and have no more mites but these are not my snakes this time so I really don't want to stuff it up.

i ALWAYS leave the snake in the enclosure. I give the enclosure a fairly decent spray of about 5 seconds and then close the enclosure door. I make sure the water bowl is removed. I have never had to use TOD on hatchling/juveniles but i would use caution and give them only one quick spray.

We use TOD also Peter and leave the snakes in, take out the water bowl.
We just fog them so to speak, never spray directly onto the reptile.

Fay

How come only Wollongong people are in this thread. But thanks a lot guys. I now know what to do.

As ST and Fay said, leave the snake in and remove the water bowl.

PS, I just replied so that there was someone from other than wollongong replying.....LOL

hey listen...
as you may or maynot know i posted a post called
"ophionyssus natricis jihad"..
just incase you havent used it before this is what i did.....
oh i start my second phase tomorrow to do off the eggs.
put the snake in one of those big snap-tight tubs,(my ones are
about 60L i think)
spray tod very quickly(about 1/2 a second each time) 4 times.
if you look hard enough you will see a slight mist......
close her up and leave for 5 minutes..
(oh, put some wee holes in the lid)
treat enclosures with permoxin,bleach, or tod, good rinse and return.
then ofcourse repeat in a week..
it works....do it ..
you wont regret it.

Stage one complete. Back there in a week I guess. Thanks everyone.

Oh BTW, trick for new players. My mate just bought a new snake. the lady who sold it to him said; "he likes to sit in his water bowl".

Now there are mites in the collection. mmmmm.

I certainly wouldn't have clicked to that either just in passing.

Yep ,what they said and any snake in a water bowl the first thing that pops into my mind is mites the dirty rotten little suckers!!!

I have a snake that spends time in his water bowl but there are no signs of mites,,,you have me worried now dammit!! i might treat him just in case

He might just think he's a snea-snake or one of those abby-furry things, junglemad :D

hey guys what is tod ????? and wwhat would be suitable for treating blueys???

TOD = Top Of Descent, avalable from Herp Shop, Animal Attraction etc. It would be suitable for treating Blueys, used in the same ways as mentioned above.

hi I heard that top of descent was going up in price to around $28 because they are not selling to the public only shop we still sell it for $15 at our herp society alllso the keeping reptile books are doubling there price
Mick

re Top

mickousley said:
hi I heard that top of descent was going up in price to around $28 because they are not selling to the public only shop we still sell it for $15 at our herp society alllso the keeping reptile books are doubling there price
Mick
Twenty eight bucks!!,they must be sniffing the stuff ,sooooo erotic and sick,yeh baby !!! :p

I use orange medic which has the same active ingediant as TOD, but is no longer avilable except for the plus which also has tea tree oil, very bad toxic stuff. But as I found out they were stopping making the normal orange medic I stocked up on enough to last a few years. Cant remember the last time I had mite, but any animal that turns up here NO MATTER who it comes from gets teated before its put in the collection. To easy, prevention is the go.

Dont hold me to this...This is what I have heard......

I have heard that a small peice of a flea collar does the same thing...Getting rid of mites....

Left in an enclosure for a week or so...????? Anyone else heard this or know if it works...

And yes obviously out of the way of your snakes..possibly in a small punctured container...???

i bought mine for 28 bucks at just reptiles...
didnt have time too have it delivered and my boys n girls are worth it.
i had the money to burn.
ps... with what that woman said about the thing lying in the water dish
would of sent my alarm bells ringing....i would of said...
C-YA, wouldnt wanna be ya.

(i like the smell of tod)

I'd be careful to use any chemicals, as I have heard so many horror stories over the years (saying this, I don't know what the active ingredients in TOD are)
The safest way to kill mites is to coat the snakes with vegetable oil, put them in a bag (outside the reptile room) for a week. During this week throw out or wash the substrate, leave a moth repellant that has Dichlorvos in it. Leave the heat on full blast to speed up the development of the mite eggs, which should all have hatched within 3-5 days at 30C, no need to repeating all treatments every fortnight. After a week air the enclosure and room well, coat the snakes again and put them back. They will start the shed cycle within a week.

Allan,- Sorry mate but I TOTALLY disagree with that method and IMO is infact a bigger horror story by far than using a permethrin based solution. Snakes have VERY porus skin and can be rehydrated simply by soaking the animal for long enough if not drinking. So by coating a snake in oil it can have very nasty effects indeed. Ive seen this method used many times and would NEVER subject my animals to it. Ive used orange medic on everything from adults to hatchlings over the years with absolutly no bad effects to the animals even with touchy things like copperheads, tigers, adders etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back