Top of Descent

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus it kills the cycle completly eggs and all, one aplication and problem is solved never to see mite again. Tooooooo easy.

John Weigal's book also mentions shelltox mini strips so long as the animals can't come into contact with them. I accept what True Blue is saying about the orange medic but as we can't buy it any more we miss out a bit. The shelltox is basically the same as a flea collar I guess.

although, why mess with the success of the TOD if you have it?

Trust me DONOT use shelltox pest strips, sure they kill mite but they will kill snakes at the drop of a hat as well. Over the years Ive seen and uesed these horrible things and if used very very cautiously they can work but pretty much slowly poison your snakes which end up dieing from renal failure.
NOT WORTH THE RISK.

some animals are more subseptible than others ie, adders redbellies etc.

Holy Crap!!! Thanks for the warning. Thats the first "error" I have encountered in "Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity". Or is it just old husbandry?

its not an error, just back when it was written TOD wasn't around, and the methods for getting rid of mites were not really well known. still developing if you like.

Yeah not an error, that was just the way it was done back then, as Herc has said.
But these days we have much better remedys for our animals ailments.

I used to use Shelltox mini strips for years and never had one problem. I used to rip the packet open and throw the strips into enclosures overnight. Pythons would sit on the strips, tongue flick the strips etc...but never a dead snake and never once any sign of the strips effecting any snakes. I would like to point out that i didnt do this because i'm a careless, irresponsible keeper, it was done because back then i didnt know any better (it was years ago when i was young) But it shows that they can be used with caution. Anyway i'm now loyal to TOD and havent used a pest strip in years.

As far as i know these strips are now band because they contain dichlorvos.

From memory, it was the use of ministrips that killed spliff the albino olive wasn't it?

hey guys thanks for that lol has anybody ever used frontline plus spray tooo get rid off mites as thats what my vet recommended!!!!!

cheers kahn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back