Total newbie to reptiles - Hiya Peoples :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

venus

Reaction score
Hi,

Im Caz, total newbie to reptiles, but eager to learn.

Im in outer western burbs of Vic, have 2 dogs, a few cats, g/pigs & some pond fish, but wanting to get a bearded dragon, so was recommended to come here to learn all about them and do my research first. :)

Ive just been looking at all the pics on here, I think im in love with diamond pythons, but maybe (a big maybe) that will be a few years down the track, lol.

I also need to find out about suitable enclosures, I guess theres many opinions on which is best (vivarium vs melamine type enclosures etc) so I better get reading.

Im quite handy, so may even make one myself, or are they hard to make? (hmm...maybe better to buy one already set up lol)

Looking forward to talking to you guys (and gals), and picking your brains. :p

Caz.

I have been researching for months untill I was confident I knew as much as I could, but I am still learning. So yeah, its a great idea to come here and read as much as you can before you start.

If you go with melamine make sure it is the waterproof type. You can tell be the cut edges. It should be a green colour due to the waterproof glue.

welcome venus. the wiki has plans for great melamine enclosure. i have two left hands and have built three already, with no dramas. it works out much cheaper to doityourself

Thanks everyone, will have a squizz at the Wiki. And definitely has to be waterproof. :D

I got myself a cheap 4 foot aquarium and stand from a member here - its great. It gets delivered on the 8th from home :D then its baby beardy time!

Hi Venus!

Beardies make great pets,...you wont be disappointed!!

I got myself a cheap 4 foot aquarium and stand from a member here - its great. It gets delivered on the 8th from home :D then its baby beardy time!

You must be getting excited then. :)

Where will you be getting your beardy from?

Good luck then Viridae. There are some gorgeous looking colored ones that Miss B has for sale, pity shes not in Vic. lol

Hi Venus & welcome. Beardies are great lizards. We have one called Spyro. He likes to get up as high as he can in his enclosure & watch us [ while we are watching him!!!]. I think making your own is a great idea. I have a 4ft tank which is 3ft deep which we are setting up for Spyro cos he has outgrown his current enclosure. I will put my stickies in there when the new one is ready. Check this link http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html It has help me heaps!

Hi Venus & welcome. Beardies are great lizards. We have one called Spyro. He likes to get up as high as he can in his enclosure & watch us [ while we are watching him!!!]. I think making your own is a great idea. I have a 4ft tank which is 3ft deep which we are setting up for Spyro cos he has outgrown his current enclosure. I will put my stickies in there when the new one is ready. Check this link http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html It has help me heaps!

Thanks for that link, I had been reading up on what to feed etc, but thats a great link.. :D
Spyro sounds like a real character, what are stickies? (not up with the reptile lingo yet lol)

so you'd be near Hillside then???

Im between Sunbury and Woodend.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Im off to find that book about Bearded Dragons. :D

;) Yes it is a good one. It was passed on to me by a lovely, helpful member of aps [ thanks GraftonChic! :D ] & I refer to it all the time. Stickies are stick insects / spiny leaf insects. This is Summa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back