Treatment for mites???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craig.a.c

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
I recently bought some mite spray to clean my snakes enclosures. In the directions it says to spray directly onto the snake but not their head. In the books that I have read they say that mites are usualy found around the mouth and eyes. So how do I treat the snakes for mites if they are around their head?

Craig.

I've never had the problem so I may have no idea what I'm saying but here goes...

I think for the snake itself a bath will drown the mites so soak it for a while. As for the spray (I'll assume its Top of Descent) Although it says you CAN spray it on the snake, I clean the tank and fog it while its empty, no herp or water bowl, just furniture . If you're worried or actually do have a problem, repeat the process a couple times to be sure you got them all.

I hope this helps or someone gives you better advice soon.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

I'd use TOD for mites, I don't think this is the spray you have?
With TOD just take the water bowl out, leave the snake in the enclosure and fog the cage with a spray for a few seconds. Leave the water bowl out for 24 hours and then clean the cage thouroughly and replace the water bowl. Repeat this process a week to ten days later.

I have heard that Frontline is effective against mites. Its systemic which means it is aborbed into the animal and then goes via your snake into the blood sucking mite. This effect will last for about 2 months.One little ampule of frontline will treat about 20 1.5 meter snakes so its pretty cheap. You just soak a cotton bud and wipe it down the length of the snake. Frontline is not registered for use on snakes so no one can recommend that you use it on them. I am certainly not but I know of snakes that have been treated with it for years and still appear totally healthy.

africancichlidau said:
I'd use TOD for mites, I don't think this is the spray you have?
With TOD just take the water bowl out, leave the snake in the enclosure and fog the cage with a spray for a few seconds. Leave the water bowl out for 24 hours and then clean the cage thouroughly and replace the water bowl. Repeat this process a week to ten days later.

Exactly!

Craig what spray are you using? It cant be TOD as this spray isnt designed for herps and doesnt say anything about herps on the can.

As for the mites around the eyes, they emerge at night and crawl all over your snake. This is a good time to fog the enclosure so that you get the mites that are hidden during the day. Forget the oil, its not needed. TOD will get every last mite.

I am using - Reptile Science Mite Spray. It says that it is designed for snakes and lizards. It can be sprayed directly onto their body just not their head.

I left the branches and hides in the enclosures, took the water bowls ands snakes out and sprayed the enclosures with it. I then sprayed some onto a cloth and wiped the snakes down with it avoiding their heads.

I am just wondering how to treat around the snakes heads.

Cheers - Craig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back