True or false

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryTriton

Reaction score
I was reading one of those wired facts they publish in MX. It said, "Some species of snake can live for up to 2 years as they can eat their hearts and regenerate new ones".

Is this true? And what species?

A snake can live for 2 years??? No way, that can't be right... :p

I was reading one of those wired facts they publish in MX. It said, "Some species of snake can live for up to 2 years as they can eat their hearts and regenerate new ones".

Is this true? And what species?

:shock: ???

2 year ?

ooh yeah most snakes die on their 2nd birthday

o dear god i have a reptile room of immortal freaks

wow that means oh no my snakes and some of my firends snakes must be vampires

no kid thats the biggest load of rubbish i have ever heard. an even bigger load then pythons breeding with elapids.

most snakes live for about 15 + years and no a snake cannot regenerate anypart of its body and snake can go for extreamly long periods of time without food. up to 6months on average some can go longer depending on size and fat stores and temperature ect ect ect mx is officaly the stupidist paper ever.

false!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Firstly they would have to regenerated the new heart first before they ate or canablized their own heart as they would die while the tissue was regenerating, no blood flow cell degeneration all system, ie:renal, hepatic, and then respiratory shut down death, but what would I know I'm a psychiatric nurse not a vet nurse but that is my opion.

i feel on this count it must be said that MX has had an EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did read one snake lasts a whole year please correct if I'm wrong some tiger snake ( King Island?)and they are mostly haver been blinded by the adults of their prey the prey is they eat the eggs or was it the baby mutton birds during the nesting season then dont eat again till the next season.

Never said I believed it, I had just read that piece.

Before I went off half cocked at the paper for false facts I wanted to be sure.

Unfortunately I didn't keep the paper (maybe if someone in Brisbane has todays copy), and it wasn't an article but a did you know thing.

E.g. Did you know...?Some newspapers make-up stuff to sell themselves. Even the free ones.

It sounds like its in relation to research conducted on snakes that didn't eat for
a 2 year period (intentional starvation).. and during that time the heart shrinks
in size to help sustain the snake .. but is "rebuilt" to normal proportions when
adequate food is again available... i think it was a study in North America on
rattlesnakes... you could possibly get your hands on the published paper if
you were particularly interested.. or someone here might have it.

It sounds like its in relation to research conducted on snakes that didn't eat for
a 2 year period (intentional starvation).. and during that time the heart shrinks
in size to help sustain the snake .. but is "rebuilt" to normal proportions when
adequate food is again available... i think it was a study in North America on
rattlesnakes... you could possibly get your hands on the published paper if
you were particularly interested.. or someone here might have it.
sounds more realistic then his version...thinks you were right Austy he got a bit off track there ...

I did read one snake lasts a whole year please correct if I'm wrong some tiger snake ( King Island?)and they are mostly haver been blinded by the adults of their prey the prey is they eat the eggs or was it the baby mutton birds during the nesting season then dont eat again till the next season.

that one is true, see Life in Cold Blood for some nice footage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back