Turtle Compatability

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuttley

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have 2 longicollis (10cm SCL) and am considering the idea of adding a shortneck in with them. I have been told this may be feasible, but am not sure if some species would be better suited to this than others, behaviourally (climate already considered). I am keen to get something a little less common than a murray.

Would a Mary River be appropriate? If so, how big a size discrepancy would be safe? If not, can you recommend a few options for other suitable species?

Cheers,
Tuttley.

Hi Tuttley
Longicollis co-exist in the wild with many other species, so that shouldn't be a problem. Adding another similar sized turtle should take into account the size of the tank and allow for future growth. Others may have advice specific to Mary River turtles. Being an endangered species, they don't seem to be commonly available, except hatchling size.
Allan

what state are you in and what class licence do you have?

NSW, class 1 at the moment, can upgrade in june.

Turtles from different climactic areas being kept together in a heated tank would not be much of an issue. It would however be something to consider if for example you wanted to keep a Mary River turtle (from QLD) in a pond in Melbourne.
As for behavioural problems, this is more to do with an individual turtle rather than a species, ie some individuals from any species can be aggressive and difficult to keep with others.
Allan
http://turtletownsydney.tripod.com/

Hi Alan,

I am more concerned about not getting something endemic to Far NQLD (for eg.), otherwise when I crank the heater up for it, my longis would be sweating it :( Would love subglobosa, but can't get them at the moment for that reason. I have room in my current setup, but I am not in a position to have two separate setups at the moment. So, right now, I am looking for a compromise.

Cheers,
Tuttley.

Turtles from different climactic areas being kept together in a heated tank would not be much of an issue. It would however be something to consider if for example you wanted to keep a Mary River turtle (from QLD) in a pond in Melbourne.

Hi Alan,

I am more concerned about not getting something endemic to Far NQLD (for eg.), otherwise when I crank the heater up for it, my longis would be sweating it :( Would love subglobosa, but can't get them at the moment for that reason. I have room in my current setup, but I am not in a position to have two separate setups at the moment. So, right now, I am looking for a compromise.

Cheers,
Tuttley.

I would recommend a Mary River turtle as they do not ever need their water heated and are one of the hardiest species in Australia! They are also not an aggressive turtle.

Regards,

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back