Turtle growth

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BT

Reaction score
how big would a average 1 yr old eastern long neck turtle be?

is it a problem if they are only 5cm and 6 cm scl?or are they just slow growers?

I don't think it is a problem, it would be more of a problem if they grew too quick and were say 15cm after a year.
Feeding them once a day an amount equal to the size of their head is right, don't give in to them wanting more.

we feed them a bloodworm or brine shrip block every 2 days

I am only new and don't know much at all about Turtles, I just wanted to add that I feed Tina 1/2 a block everyday , so that would equal your 1 block every second day.
I also take Tina out of her tank and feed her in a seperate container ( old ice cream container), it is much less mess in the tank.

My two hatchies love to eat and beg for it anytime where near the cage. Its not a good idea to give in though. I feed them about the size of their head daily like mrdestiny suggested.

Ok I give Tina 1/2 a block everyday, is that too much???, should it be only a 1/4???, She eats it at lightening speed, lol.

no problem there half a block is no problem

keep us informed as to tins progress

ill post sum of my pics of fungus cured turtles soon

no problem there half a block is no problem

keep us informed as to tins progress

ill post sum of my pics of fungus cured turtles soon

Thankyou very much. Tina is out dry docking for the second time today ( I used betadine) she is due to go back to her tank soon.
It's funny, I just LOVE Tina so very much, having 3 sons, she is my princess ( even if she turns out to be a he, she will still be a she to me, roflol)

I give the turtles a block each every second day and they are fed in ice cream container
like you bek74 after reading your thread i discovered that one of our turtles has the fungas so we just did the dry docking today. Also they both have white dots under there shell which i think used to be orange is that okay?

I give the turtles a block each every second day and they are fed in ice cream container
like you bek74 after reading your thread i discovered that one of our turtles has the fungas so we just did the dry docking today. Also they both have white dots under there shell which i think used to be orange is that okay?

mrdestiny posted a link to a wonderful caresheet reguarding turtles. I have learnt so far that, you need to treat the water asap with a fungus cure ( do complete water change before adding) and to put betadine on the affected areas and dry dock it for 2hrs and do this twice a day. Watch out for your other baby so it doesn't get it.
The caresheet says to add aquarium salt to the water to prevent fungus, my problem is I wasn't adding enough, I will from now on.
I hope your baby gets better soon and please read that care sheet, it is great.
Good luck

blakeblake if you are referring to the orange spots on the plastron of hatchling long neck turtles, that is a feature they have when young to scare off predators. These will fade away to a creamy colour after 2 or 3 months, that is normal.

mrdestiny posted a link to a wonderful caresheet reguarding turtles. I have learnt so far that, you need to treat the water asap with a fungus cure ( do complete water change before adding) and to put betadine on the affected areas and dry dock it for 2hrs and do this twice a day. Watch out for your other baby so it doesn't get it.
The caresheet says to add aquarium salt to the water to prevent fungus, my problem is I wasn't adding enough, I will from now on.
I hope your baby gets better soon and please read that care sheet, it is great.
Good luck

we are getting some fungas treatment on the weekend and for the momet have treated the water with reptisafe sample. And I have read the care sheet and it seems to be better than one of the books i have. Good luck with your turtle too

blakeblake if you are referring to the orange spots on the plastron of hatchling long neck turtles, that is a feature they have when young to scare off predators. These will fade away to a creamy colour after 2 or 3 months, that is normal.

the turtles are a year old unrelated pair and one of them is loosing the dots.
thanks for all the info everyone

yea there is a white patch on the top of one of there shells and is starting to clear up with treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back