Turtle mouth\jaw problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olive Xm

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a Eastern Long Neck Turtle and he is having trouble opening his mouth. Usualy when i feed him he opens up and takes the food and my finger tip, now he head-buts my finger and can hardly open his mouth. Can anyone help?

havnt heard of that before. and have never had that problem with any of my turtles, i would be taking it to a vets mate for a checkup to be on the safe side

Does he eat food if it is put in the water?How often do you feed him and what is the water temp?

Does he eat food if it is put in the water?How often do you feed him and what is the water temp?

Umm Xander they cant eat out of the water? Aquatic turtles can only eat in the water, therefore they are always fed in the water. I do not think how often you feed and water temp play any part in this, unless the water temps are too cold. Should be around 25deg. If your not sure, please dont offer bad advice to someone who is really needing it.

As for your problem OliveXm, ive never come across it before. Make sure nothing lodged in there and theyre isnt any injury or growth. Have you seen him eat? Have you changed the food type?

Umm Xander they cant eat out of the water? Aquatic turtles can only eat in the water, therefore they are always fed in the water. I do not think how often you feed and water temp play any part in this, unless the water temps are too cold. Should be around 25deg. If your not sure, please dont offer bad advice to someone who is really needing it.

I cannot see how asking a couple of questions can be interpretted as giving bad advice !

Try giving expansa1 a pm he would be the best person to ask.

On another note i feed my turtles out of the water often, they only need to be in the water to swallow the food.

sxc celly, i think how xander interpreted the post was that Olive xm feeds his turtle with his head above water (ie, holding ithe food above water and the turtle sticking its head out to get it) and suggested putting the food in the water, not the turtle. Plus, by asking questions xander may come up with a solution to the problem. Just like how uve askd questions.Thats how i see it anyway. I think checking the water temp would be a wise move, i know that wen my water heater was on the blink my turtle wasnt hungry, showd interest in my hand movement, but didnt want to eat.

Thanks guys
Water temp ; 24 deg
Food ; worms, meal worms, roaches, crickets, blood worms

I feed him in the water.
When i got home the night before he had a moth that had fellen in the tank and the wings got caught up out the sides of his mouth for a while but he got in down. ?? a part from that it was all normal till this.

I tried to feed him crickets tonight and he could only catch the crickets leg in his mouth.

Maybe the moths wings has something to do with it. Moths makes their throat dry and just aweful. Maybe give it a few days. See if anything lodged in there. How big is the turtle and how big are the roaches and crickets? Try sticking to frozen bloodworm and frozen brineshrimp as its small and easy to swallow.

soulds to me like an infection mate have had simulir things with some of mine, give it a few days, if no change then take it to the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back