Turtle problem!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

Looks to me that one of your other turts has had a bit of a go at that lil fella. Make sure the water is in good cond and that they are well fed. You can treat this by applying betadine to the area/s twice a day to dry skin. You could keep the turt out of the water and just let it swim and feed.

Hi,
looks like there has been some damage to the foot caused by ? a bite from another turtle; a scratch or foot stuck in filter etc with secondary skin necrosis. I suggest 'dry docking' the turtle, debriding all the dead tissue and painting the effected area with betadine making sure not to get any in the turtles eyes. There is a turtle caresheet located at www.vhs.com.au that will help with more instructions.
expansa1

eww looks nasty, definatly go with dry docking and paint with betadine after cleaning well. dont forget to return it to[clean] water to eat/defecate/rehydrate atleast twice a day . you'll have to redo the drying cleaning painting thing each time. good luck with it. :)

Hey, hi Craig, how goes the pignosed mate?

yep... temps are reasonably warm atm. I have one atm with a cut foot (I am having a crap time with turts right now :() I am keeping her in the bathtub with a towel underneath an over her. Just make sure that it is not drafty or cold... you can heal an animal that is cold. Just swim it for an hour a day or something.

You need to remove all the dead tissue from the wounds.
and then treat with betadine or similar. I would also suggest that a course of antibiotics and cleaner water might be the go.
Drydock until the wounds are closed over. This could take a few weeks or more.

Re: RE: Turtle problem!!!

instar said:
eww looks nasty, definatly go with dry docking and paint with betadine after cleaning well. dont forget to return it to[clean] water to eat/defecate/rehydrate atleast twice a day . you'll have to redo the drying cleaning painting thing each time. good luck with it. :)

Hey, hi Craig, how goes the pignosed mate?

Hi, the Pig-nosed turtles are all well and doing fine. Have seen the younger male try to mate with the female on a number of occasions but due to the fact he is half her size, it is a physical impossibility for another year or so. My Rheodytes leukops (Fitzroy river turtle) laid eggs a week or so ago which is pretty exciting as I've never seen hatchlings of this species in the flesh.
In fact, there are only a couple of people keeping this species in Australia due to their rareness. I took a few photo's as she was laying which didn't distract her from laying her 20 eggs.
expansa1

RE: Re: RE: Turtle problem!!!

thanks guys,
Can you upload some pics craig?
i had a look in ytou gallery and i love the pics od the high yellow diamonds and the koala watching the turts.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Turtle problem!!!

saikrett said:
thanks guys,
i had a look in ytou gallery and i love the pics od the high yellow diamonds and the koala watching the turts.

The koala was really fascinated by our Pig-nosed turtles and watched them for hours. No problem, I'll upload a few photos now.
expansa1

Re: RE: Re: RE: Turtle problem!!!

saikrett said:
thanks guys,

Here's another!
She was prettty much covered in mud when she came up to lay these eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back