Turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rolling-thunder

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi i am asking anyone who has or had a turtle
Do they smell? (like with the water, a living animal, moss algae)

And are they hard to maintain?

Is there anything bad/annoying about them?

And which turtles are cool or look good?

probly the best turtle to keep would be a short neck. verry frendly and dont send out a stink when they are scared (like long necks):D:p:D:p

Get a long neck! (Waaay better than short necks ;))

They arn't the easiest animals to look after, as they need to be cleaned very regularly. Its a big job!

There is nothing annoying about them at all :)

Good luck!

Hi i am asking anyone who has or had a turtle
Do they smell? (like with the water, a living animal, moss algae)

And are they hard to maintain?

Is there anything bad/annoying about them?

And which turtles are cool or look good?

myne is an eastern long neck and she doesnt smell :)

I'd say the hardest thing is keeping the water correct, eg temps, PH etc.. and giving them calcium is also beneficial for thier growth. Keeping disease and rot away from him and his shell is easy if the water is alright. also needed is UV and a heat spot, if the turtle cant bask or completely get out of the water and dry off, the shell and skin can develop different types of fungus. so best to have a float or something similar in there too :)

the only annoying thing is the constant water changes, turtles can be very messy critters! so just do a partial water change every week-two weeks depending on the water quality, and once a month complete clean, keeping in mind the PH, chlorine is gone, etc.

when cleaning the filter also remember not to use chlorine water, as the chlorine kills all the good bacteria inside the filter, which is good for the turtle's health :) so wash out the filter in some tank water before replacing it in the tank.

hope that helps!

Nat ;) x

oh, and definately go a long neck :p they are adorable!!!

Nat ;) x

are u goin to have it inside or out side in a pond ?
out side in a pond is a better option [ if your able to] the ELN [ easton long neck ] turtle is a great turtle to have - i know as i have 5 of them in 3 diffrent ponds . if u get more then one , be aware that they can fight and harm each other .

i have 2 ELNs in my room
there awesome little guys who are pretty easy to look after
as long as you have everything set up for them b4 u buy them...youll need a UV light, heater, filter (and a dock)
They dont smell at all, but make sure u feed them in seperate containers so that the food leftovers doesnt mess up ur tank
;)

Have never kept them but i would get a pig nosed turtle. Saw one at expo the other week, they are ssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooo CUTE!!!!

I have one of each, eastern long neck and a MR short neck. They are complete opposites but live together very well in a large tank. I think my ELN is more placid, my MRSN is much more outgoing and constantly looking for food. Both have become used to people and are not scared at all.
Depends what sort of personality you want.
Make sure you research them well.

Kim

My sister had a turtle, he was so cute. She got lazy on the cleaning, so when she did clean it was a big job. So as said before do partial water changes regulary and you should be fine when it comes to smell and muck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back