update on renting and owning snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungle_Fever1

Reaction score
hey all

as u know a few months ago i had a house inspection and hid all my pythons and rats,

i just got a letter saying there will be another one at the end of october :evil:

i thought ill try my luck in writing a letter asking permission to have them, i received a phone call days later saying yes u can have snakes," i was like hell yeh no more hiding"
that was till i got a letter today stating the landlord............. ............... ................ permits the above tenants to keep TWO (2) Australian Pythons in secured enclosures in the premises ONLY.
The Tenants Hereby agree to keep the yard and house clean and free from animal droppings/shedding and to pay for any damages caused by the snake/s to the property inside /or outside, backyard, fences, doorsscreens etc.

if it is evident that pet odour is present in the carpet, the tenant agrees to have the carpets professionally steamed cleaned.

bit exteme hey. im keeping a snake not a ADD kid for god sake.

so looks like ill now only have to hid 8 snakes and 2 dragons lol......

hmmmmmmm they say nothing bout keeping in th garage.......

im doing the same thing. i have to hide mine everytime an inspection comes a long. =(

would premises not also mean the garage? check with your agent as they may of ment 2 of each species, not 2 snakes only. under my local council im permitted to keep 2 of each python species but no colubrid or elapid species on my property. so maybe your agent has checked with your council and has misunderstood there rules

We had a bad experience with dogs on our rental premises.
Can fully understand the requirements added by your lessor - to protect against those who say they will, then don't. Once bitten always shy again I'm afraid.......:(

if it is evident that pet odour is present in the carpet, the tenant agrees to have the carpets professionally steamed cleaned.

is a bit extreme i guess, steam cleaning is a standard on vacating a property anyway so its odd they make a big deal out of it.

my landlord was here last week (the day i was picking up my snake) and when i told him, he didnt seem to care at all. i guess some a bit more fussy than others.

I had over a dozen snakes in the last place I rented with no dramas. But I can see how they'd loose their **** if you wanted to keep/breed rodents!

i understant about the rodents, but id never give up the snakes.
i got a gravid woma also, so more snakes to come.

ill see what they say tomorrow, if it means hiding them then ill just do it. they can look at a garage full of empty enclosures lol

My property manager loves my snakes.... Any excuse to come over to see them....

I think a lot of the general public don't understand snakes and what's involved with keeping them and what smells they may or may not have....perhaps they just need educating. If I owned a rental and didn't understand about snakes or reptiles generally, I think I'd want strict conditions too.

At one point had around 60 reps with my housemates included..and breed our own rats...haven't really had an issue with it, the house inspection girls just run through pretty fast and find a safe corner to tick all the boxes :lol:

Last place we rented I told the owner outright - no problems (NOTE: we were NOT renting via an agency). When it became time to leave we had only one couple inspect the place and the hubby was fascinated. To cut a long story short we shifted out on Sunday, the couple shifted in on Monday and we had our entire bond back on Tuesday

I remember how awful the inspections were when I was renting. Taking the dog to a mate's place, hiding everything else - it felt like such a privacy invasion. Now that I am paying off a mortgage - huge expense, (to rent my shack you'd only ever pay half of the mortgage!) after 4 years I may own the front door, no probably the door mat but at least I do not have to hide anymore. Good Luck to all of you in your quest to escape landlords.

I rent and didn't tell no one nothing until the inspection came she found my diamond pythons all on her own and I got them out to show her and I have not had an inspection since..... That may work for you too. she really hated snakes

I have been in my apartment for 7 months now with no inspection. Im sure we will get our letter any day now. Im dreading it. So annoying. Whether u have pets or not, you can still trash your house!

I didnt tell my real estate that I kept snakes when I moved into my last unit, when I had my first inspection the agent opened up the door to a room full of enclosures and said "whats this?" and I just replied snakes... He then proceeded to look in each enclosure, smiled, told me he was terrified of snakes but they fascinated him so much and then walked out of the room and that was the end of that. :)

The inspector man loves my lizards. Last time, he said that he was getting a bluie for his son after seeing mine :)

Never had any dramas with renting and having snakes .When i have inspections the agents were/are more fascinated with the snakes than doing the inspection .Virtually walk in talk about the snakes then walk out .

Its a disapointment but im pretty sure they cant say that you are not allowed to keep snakes as long as they are in their enclosures because they arent dirtying the apartment....

id rather have a thousand snakes in a rental instead of kids, like what damage can snakes do in comparison?

i'd also prefer snakes to fish tanks which can make a hell of a mess if they smash,..(or the filter leaks like our did a while ago,..grrr,...)

sucks being a reptile owner and needing to rent,.. :(
so unfair!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back