update on renting and owning snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its so relieving to read that other people have this same issue. I make a point to cover over the cages when the landlords come to visit, as I don't want to explain to an older Italian couple why the place has pythons in it. I'm sure they wouldn't care, and favour me as a tennant anyway, but just to be sure I keep quiet about it. Its worked for 5 years now, I can't wait to get my degree completed so I can get a career and my own house so I never have to deal with it again!

my inspection lady never says anything about my reptiles... though she just scans the house and leaves... luckily i havent had a problem yet. you think they would be more worried about cats and dogs in the house rather than reptiles? stupid...

We have only 1 lorrikeet on the lease but we now have 1 snake, a puppy and 2 lorrikeets.
A bit unsure how we'll go when our first inspection comes around.
Luckily we have relatives not far away and can transport the puppy there when that happens.

I heard that if something is covered they cannot uncover it to see what it is.
So we'll probaby just turn the heat off, hide the cords and cover the snake.

I can see both sides of the argument here, as a reptile owner what is the drama, they are in enclosures and a relatively odor free....however have you walked into most reptile stores...there is a strong odor, this stays in the carpet and the blinds....even after a good clean.

The owner has the right to say no to any animals, even if they are in enclosures.....it is their property after all, by hiding the fact you also open yourself to potential prosecution under the Act as you clearly know that you are not permitted to have them, but have decided to do so anyway.

It could be worse, there are some city councils that are attempting to limit the ownership of reptiles in a similar way to cats and dogs, they will have access to wildlife authority details about reptile ownership and will be able to enforce their regulations.

Be upfront when renting, we were, we had no problems, they asked us to keep the rats outside in the garage and ensure that the house was left in a clean, odor free state when we left, or face paying for replacement of carpets and blinds!! This wasn't a problem as we ensured that all reptiles where kept in rooms with floorboards. No limits were applied to us, they also stated that if we did not tell them upfront then they would not have approved it later on!

As a landlord myself, I can say it would depend on the quality and age of the dwelling. I would have no problems with people keeping a few snakes, but dogs, cats, birds and definately rodents would be not on... you just cant get the smell out of the carpet.... but my investment is a new place, if it was an old knockdown type house I wouldn't care as much.

If your investment had flooring that was just timber that were scratched to the *******house, would you mind so much about a dog being in the house?

Where there is damage done, then of course people would care, these properties are investments, when they are getting damaged then they are costing money not increasing in value.

If your investment had flooring that was just timber that were scratched to the *******house, would you mind so much about a dog being in the house?

It's not so a few scratches on an already scratched floor, as a landlord you need to think worse case scenario... like all those bored dogs that chew at door frames, rip up gardens, ruin grass, leave hair everywhere ect... and if that costs the landlord money, which it probably will... then as a landlord you have to weigh up the odds.. and that depends on what the dwelling is worth, what condition it's in ect... keep in mind that the landlord isn't always rich and may be fighting financially to keep the investment, and / or have it negative geared ( making a loss weekly / monthly to avoid paying huge tax bills) so won't want to fork out a few hundred fixing damage done by pets... In most places it is pretty easy just to get a tennant without a pet...

I rent too..
We moved here 10 months ago and never told the real estate i had a snake, had enough problems with getting a rental with 2 older dogs.
We have had 3 inspections since being here, and my enclosure is in the lounge room in full view..Real estate lady has never asked about it..
Fingers crossed so are so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back