Urgent advice needed on hurt python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GE-PH

Reaction score
While returning our python into the enclosure its body got badly sqashed just in front of the cloacal area. The injury is quite severe and I believe the spine is damaged. The snake has lost control of the tail end. What is the chance of survival? If it will survive what quality of live would it have? Should I have it put down to stop the suffering?

Last edited:
Without seeing the python it's impossible to tell if the injury is going to be fatal but it doesn't sound good at all. Get it to a vet as quick as possible, where are you located?

Did the door close on it? That's horrible, sorry :( If it is paralysed below the cloaca maybe amputation could work, but if it is above it I think there would be a lot of complications. I'm not a vet, so take that with a grain of salt, I'm sure a lot of people who relocate animals will be able to chime in.

If you look in wiki located at the tabs at the top of the screen it has a list of reptile vet's for each state, hope that helps.

A friend of mine is a vet but as with many vets he has no experience with reptiles. He suggested to desinfect the area where scales are damaged to prevent infection. Personally I can't see what else could be done other than wait and see.
I'm in the Albury/Wodonga area.

I know these guys aren't close to you, but you try giving them a call and they might be able to help you.

Avian, Reptile & Exotic Pet Hospital - Camden. 02 9351 1798

They are part of The University of Sydney, when I went there the doctor I saw was very professional so if you can't find help else where try giving them a call and see what they say.

A friend of mine is a vet but as with many vets he has no experience with reptiles. He suggested to desinfect the area where scales are damaged to prevent infection. Personally I can't see what else could be done other than wait and see.
I'm in the Albury/Wodonga area.

And your vet friend mentioned nothing about pain management?

Thanks everyone for their replies. I will call the vet in sydney to get some more info.
Thanks Sutto82.

Not good. The fact that he lost all sense and control in his tail and also appears to be incontinent indicates a spinal cord injury. Amputation can't be done because it's before the cloacal area. The vet will give him a few more days but there is not much hope for improvement.
Accidents do happen. Do others have stories to tell?

Attachments

• DSC_6316 (Large).JPG
    DSC_6316 (Large).JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 254
That doesn't look good. Is that an experienced reptile vet you're seeing?

How exactly did it happen?

hey ive seen a snake with a massive dint in its back looked like he was stomped on and he went fine not sure what happened to him tho, he is still alive. i have also heard that a snake can break their back and still be able to move cos they use their muscles but if he cant poop then thats a problem, did the vet xray?

Has the Vet given you any pain management the poor thing must be in so much pain.......

RIP Russel

Sadly Russel has been put to sleep today. He couldn't pass solids (5 days overdue) and the lump was growing. Thank you everyone for their help.

Sad to hear about your loss mate, Hope you learnt somthing out it . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back