Urgent beardie help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondgal79

Reaction score
ok so i just went out to put my newly acquired gravid female beardie in her outdoor enclosure and found 2 eggs near the water bowl.
She was out all day yesterday and i bought her in about 9.30 last nite when i got home.
The eggs are alittle deflated but arent hard or yellow/orange should i pop them in the incubator anyway or ditch them as goners?
Also she is still full of eggs and is sitting in her sandbox with a far away look on her face.
Shes bright and alert should i worry that she has had eggs and might be egg bound after holding the rest in???
Please no flamers ididnt know she gravid when i bought her (i dont own a male) and i didnt know when they were due.

Cheers DG

Hey Diamondgal!
The first two eggs - I'd pop them in the incubator anyway, just in case! Beardie eggs are pretty hardy and need something pretty "major" to dessicate them. Just keep them separate from the rest, when she has them!
I'd say don't stress too much just yet, give her a bit more time, make sure her laying/nesting box is "to her requirements" (they're all different in this aspect, trust me!). As long as she has somewhere nice and private to dig and lay, she should be okay.
If there's nothing within a week, give her a nice luke-warm bath - you'll be surprised!
Let us know how she goes?
Best,
Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn, i have been waiting and watching and the one arvo i go out for sinner she drops them!
She was pretty flighty when i first got her and she has settled down really well and id hate to loose her, my 10yr old son got her for his bday earlier this month.
ok so incubator is on and thermostat is running right.
Geez its like waiting for my own babies to arrive.
Thanks again for the advice.
Cheers DG

Make sure the sand in her lay box is really moist and about 40cm deep.
Pack it down hard dig a big tunnel for her with your hand.
Stick her in the hole head first,and walk away,she will lay right away.

Thanks Brett :)
you know im still totally unprepapred for this!
I wasnt sure when she would lay them so i didnt have the incubator turned on or anything.
Quick ? what temp do i have the bator at some sites says 32 some say 28 ??
Cheers DG

Sit your incubator on 31 your eggs will sit at about 30.
I fill those 60l storage tubs 3/4 full of sand for the females to lay in and put the lid on top.
They usually lay within 3 hours then pop the fem back in their tank.

Make sure the sand in her lay box is really moist and about 40cm deep.
Pack it down hard dig a big tunnel for her with your hand.
Stick her in the hole head first,and walk away,she will lay right away.

WOW Really? That is fascinating. I'm taking this all in for the time I might be a "beardie grandma" lol. Right now I'm just stunned at how fast my little ones are growing.

Hope everything goes well for you Diamondgal.

:DKyles

Ok still no more eggs but she is alert and happy she had a drink this morning (i have taken the bowl out now).
Happyily just sunning herself.
She still has quite a bellyfull
Cheers DG

are u sure theyre fertile? Beardies can lay infertile clutches from time to time,...most of the time the eggs are reabsorbed thruout their cycle, but some lay them,..

obviously they still need to come out, but candle them to make sure theyre worth incubating,...

if she starts acting 'off' in any way take her straight to the vet, but i have seen people post that they got 2 eggs and then a week later the rest,...so probably no need to panic yet,..

All my bd lay iin the afternoon or after 12,as soon as u see her scratching around wack her straight in the hole.She should lay without a vet,make sure your lay tub is deep enough and warm and moist.

Hi well some good news and some bad.
My sons beardie "spike" laid the rest of her eggs today.
12 in total but none were any good im pretty sure.
Most were orange in colour and hard and slumped in.
I have 5 in the incubator which were soft and white and plump,
Fingers crossed but not holding much hope.
"spike" looks exhausted shes laid out on the rock under the heat lamp
she really looks thin now, shes wasnt in the best of nick when i got her and now she looks half the size.
Hopefully she will pick up.
Thanks to everyone for their help :)

Cheers DG

Sad Update :(

Yesterday at lunchtime 'spike" looked terrible so i made an appointment with the reptile vet for 4pm.
I picked the kids up from school at 3pm and dropped them at a friends house.
I came home to get her and found she had died in th hour i was away. :(
I wrapped her up not knowing what to do with her and went back to egt the kids.
Hubby came home and decided he would hide "spike" and tell pur son 10 that she had done the bolt when he took her outside and seeing it was dark he would have no hope of finding her now.

Even this news was crushing for him so id dont think he would have handled her death.
He cried for hours last night and it broke my heart.

he got spike for his 10th birthday on the 3rd of Nov this year and he was saving all his pocket money to buy her a brand new enclosure and have a rock wall made for he.
, it was going to cost him over $300 and i can tell you he had worked his little butt of doing jobs for everyone he knows to make money to add to his total.
He even took over his older brothers chores.

Im not telling him i have 5 eggs from her in the incubator as they are probably no good and i dont want to add to his loss.

Im now on the look out for a nice quiet beardie for him.

He was a bit of a ratbag for many years but since getting into his animals (he breeds rats to sell and feed our snakes) he has been a totally differant kid.
He wanted a beardie for his birthday and we told him he could get one IF he got a good report card and he learned everything he could about bearded dragons.
I was presented with a report card of mostly Bs and an A innatural studies and a 6 page essay on keeping beardies all this from a kid who just a year ago was on the verge of being suspended from school for not co-operating and being ageneral pain in the butt.

Thank you to everyone who helped with advice and i wish the outcome was brighter.
Cheers from a very sad Diamondgal ::(

So Sorry about your sad news Diamond i wish i could help out in some way .... :(

really sorry fro ur loss DG,...i wonder if both she and the male were ill, u dud say she was with a male till 4 weeks ago that died,...

hope ur son is ok, losing a pet is a hard lesson to learn for a kid (even if its a runaway, its still a loss)

Thanks Kelly and thanks chris,
The male she was with was attacked by the previous owners cat after their kids had left the enclosure open.
hence why they wanted to re-home "spike" as their kids had lost interest in her.
she seemed fine up until the eggs started being laid then she went down hill.
I really dont know what happened,but i will be scrubbing out the enclosure she was in today when son is at school.
She was just a plain old Eastern Beardie but she meant the world to him.
On the weekend we went down to Wangaratta and called in to Craig's Critters they has a pair of bright orange central beardies for sale and i asked son what he thought he came out with "nah their crap, spike's heaps better coz she likes to do laps on my bed" i hope he remembers these happy times when he thinks of her. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back