Urgent Help! PLEASE!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty_Moose

Reaction score
My Bearded Dragon managed to escape inside. His enclosure has 2 glass sliding doors and with the tiniest crack he managed to slide his way out. I've been searching since last night with no luck. Yesterday morning was the last time I saw him. I have a small cat and dog but they are both well acquainted with him and have never shown aggression towards him (But I will not count out the possibilities). I was wondering what possible things there is to finding him or bringing him out, I've been searching room by room If I could I would search the house brick by brick, At the moment I'm clueless sitting here hoping to hear him sliding around...I'm really worried and will definitely getting a new enclosure if (and hopefully when) I find him ! This is the first incident regarding him and this enclosure so, I didn't expect it and I'm really devastated PLEASE HELP !

Zac

without knowing the layout of your house...I could suggest one thing

1. Isolate dog and cat (providing they get on) to a room you know the beardie is not in
2. put bubble wrap and/or plastic bags at exit doors (so you could hear the lizard moving)
3. put some food (dog food or similar) in strategic areas you know you or someone can keep an eye on
4. ensure any doors leading outside are sealed and he cannot escape out.

Yeah, I know for a fact that he cannot get outside (I don't know if he was able through a door that was open but I doubt it because we never leave our door open because the cat runs outside and we never have her outside). The bubble wrap idea is AWESOME I will do that now and I will try out the food idea. Thanks for that mate! Sorry if I'm a little pushy just really stressed out.

If he's only tiny, I would try to block off the room you think he's in, and I'd be setting up some hides on heatmats or cords, and perhaps stick a tubs of crickets on the floor near one of two of the hides, as well. I'd also set up a basking light close to the ground somewhere safe from you other pets, and I would NOT assume that because the dog and cat haven't shown interest when you're in the room that they can be trusted not to kill a small lizard running around the house! Being young, he will get hungry quickly - giving him hides and heat, and with the temptation of food (even if he can't get to the crix inside the tubs) is your best bet of finding him...

You could always throw some flour around on the floor, as well, and see if you can pin point his movements a bit better.

Good luck!

sorry to hear that.
just a hint for some, I use the stick on door seals (the fluffy synthetic strips) you buy at hardware stores.
i remove the paper to expose the sticky side and place on the glass of the enclosure that overlaps each over. This prevents any small lizard escaping through the gap.
goodluck

Just to clear it up he is not tiny it was the crack that was tiny and he was able to force it open, Hes about 45cm long adult male. I wasn't going to assume that with the pets the dog is locked outside and I searched High and low in a room and found nothing so I locked the cat in there. I set up heap of plastic bags on door ways and hallways. He is about 3 and a Half years old.

contain the area ! keep all doors shut windows sealed !
i have eastern water dragons that i let run round the house once a week or more and one just plays hide and seek with me i have looked everywhere, i have spent two days lookn for her she hides and doesnt come out again!
look under any item where it is dark
it will come out sometime but i know that doesnt help !

over the years keeping reptiles i have lost a few well about 5 in all so i invested in a boreoscope or endoscope with the orange one thats the one i have you can take the digital veiwing panel off the front of it search holding the screen and use the other hand to look around it finds them everytime except the goldern crown i have on the lose atm
!BVvI05QBGk~$(KGrHgoOKj0EjlLmTLjuBKUGkv)5kg~~_12.jpg 355748200_tp.jpg355748212_o.jpg

Attachments

• !Bod(YkwCGk~$(KGrHqEOKkEEuZu4Z5BVBLngeQR)iw~~_12.jpg
    !Bod(YkwCGk~$(KGrHqEOKkEEuZu4Z5BVBLngeQR)iw~~_12.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 29
Wow! How much did that set you back ? And this is the 1st incident I have a lock on my Snakes cage and latches on the skink/scorps/spiders I don't know why I didn't have a lock on the Beardies... I'm kicking myself big time.. He was my first reptile as well ! God I feel so stupid...

My beardie free ranges a lot, and occasionally we "lose" her in the house. Usually, she gets sick of basking in front of the window, goes for a wander, and curls up somewhere dark and often cool for a sleep. One time, I found her in the onion bag. So, you probably just need to do what you're doing and keep looking in all the dark corners and under furniture, behind/under the fridge... flour still might help you work out whereabouts in the house he's hanging out.

Thanks Kristy, I'm worrying that I'll miss him and maybe in my frantic search trap him with another object or something..I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully find him, I was wondering.. With the food would it be wise to set up multiple areas with food near the plastic bags and flour (when I lay it) ?

Yeah, I always worry a bit, too. But, so long as you know the cat and dog can't get to him, he's probably curled up under something having a sleep. I've lost my female for the better part of 24 hrs before, searching constantly, but found her under the TV or something. Similar story to Kman. The advice I gave before was because I thought that because the crack it escaped from was small, your beardie was probably a hatchie. I would probably tone that advice down since you're actually looking for an adult male! Maybe a basking spot and the crix on the floor, still, which might draw him out from wherever he's hiding. And just keep on looking.

In case it helps, I've never found my girl on top of anything. Once she's on the ground, she hides under things, not on top of them. So, maybe keep the search low down?

Thanks ! I was searching on top of shelves trying to get in 'the mind of a beardy'.. Corny but I thought I might try everything :p i'm feeling slightly better hearing your stories BUT I won't be happy until i find him I'll try to set up a basking spot. Any suggestions ? I have a thermostat heat rock if that helps (I don't use that as his basking spot normally) But I don't know what to do for a basking spot at this point in time.

Ok I have a desk lamp that I fitted out with a 60w spot that putting out some heat. He escaped from my room so should I put it near my room ?

OMG !!! I'm SO HAPPY ! This is the best feeling !!!! Me and my bro sat down for a 'stake out' and we see the curtains move for the verandah.. Hes like "No..thats been doing it all morning" and then it did it again and a little tail appeared !!! OMG IT WAS PINEY !!!! I'm so happy ! hes back in his enclosure and I think I'm off to buy a lock !!!

That's great :) They're always hanging out somewhere nearby! Before you rush off and spend your hard earned cash on an expensive "herp lock", do a search for the thread on Baden's coat hanger locks...

Haha, its funny because the verandah is like on the other side of the house! Haha And will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back