Urgent id help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bandy bandy.Don't know why it's ID is urgent though,looks dead to me.

It is dead. It Bit my mates dog. and he just sent me this.. to chek id. there on there way to the vet now.

they dont bite dude,but i read a paper in which they injected bandy bandy venom into a rabbit and it killed it in 15 mins lol

they dont bite dude,but i read a paper in which they injected bandy bandy venom into a rabbit and it killed it in 15 mins lol

LOL! Do you know where i can access that paper? Sounds like a crack up!

But it really isn't safe to assume the effects of a venom on one species will be the same on a different species. A good example that i know of is the Sydney funnel web, a dog or a person can easily be knocked over by one but a cat can get tagged by them all day long and not die.

Bandy-bandys belong to the same family as Australia's deadliest snakes. They have venom glands, however they produce very little venom and are unlikely to bite humans or dogs even in a stressful situation. Although at the same time you can't assume it wont affect the dog... Personally i have never been bitten or never seen any thing bitten by a bandy bandy and there have no personal experience with the affects... Keep an eye on the dog and offer plenty of water, check for exhaustion, discomfort, and overall change in behavior from the dog, if so call a vet asap just in case. I know of people bitten by less dangerous snakes and end up bad coz of a reaction to particular components in different snakes venom
Without having a crack at any one... WHAT A DAMN SHAME! they are such a beautiful snake and one i am yet to see in the wild what a pity is all i can say.

Last edited:
From what I have heard, they don't bite.
You sure the dog got bitten?

From what I have heard, they don't bite.
You sure the dog got bitten?

you are right, they don't usually bite, though they have bitten people a few times, a member of this forum was bitten by a bandy bandy out herping once, he has a picture of the bite and info about it, I will leave it up to him to see if he is willing to post.

I got a phone call from a a bloke who's wife got bitten by a snake once, when i ID'd it it turned out to be a bandy bandy.

I know of a few bites from Vermicella....they have produced systemic effects in humans, deaths have occured quite rapidly in lab testing experiments (see Sutherland 1983, Australian Animal Toxins). While most are generally placid, I have seen them strike and chew. Females in particular get quite large.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back