Urgent: what frog is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystal

Reaction score
I urgently need to know what sort of frog this is and if it is poisonous?
In the Caboolture / SE QLD area
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 227
Really? I hope so! What about to cats? My cat was frothing at the mouth after bringing it upstairs so I need to know if I have to find a vet.

Ok thank you. Better let him go before bed then.

yeh I thought that may be the case but I'm hoping it will be alright as it seemed quite alert just then.

Looks like a Striped Marsh Frog Limnodynastes peronii to me. Probably a good practice to wash your hands before and after handling frogs as many have complex skin secretions and we often have things on us like sunscreen or insect repellant.

Striped marsh frog? I found one the other week aswell, he was gorgeous! I kept him for a day then released him haha.

Attachments

• P1090905.JPG
    P1090905.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 159
I wasn't aware that we had any poisonous frogs in Australia?

Alot of frog species carry various toxins and chemicals in their skin and in the glands. Members of the Pseudophryne genus carry enough to effect or kill animals that eat them, i'm unsure what studies have been done to work out how toxic they all are, anyone know?

Its definately a striped marsh frog L.peronii. I wouldnt worry about it hurting your cat, but it is illegal to let your cat/s kill native wildlife.

yeah def looks like a striped marsh frog, live in morayfield and hav seen a few near my house, near the bunnings and harvey norman swamps.....

Its definately a striped marsh frog L.peronii. I wouldnt worry about it hurting your cat, but it is illegal to let your cat/s kill native wildlife.

It is a striped marsh frog but the scientific name isn't L.peronii!;);)

Who cares about the scientific name....Its not going to save the frog from a certain death...... Id be more worried about the frog dying from an infection than playing herpatologists.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back