Urinating bhps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptililian

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired two very lovely black-headed pythons. Darius (male) is 4ish and Siam is 5ish. They are around the 3m/5kg mark. Here's my concern, they urinate every second or third day! Being such large animals there's a lot of it and I can't read enough newspapers to keep up with their needs. :(

Is this normal? Is it because they're new and it will decrease over time? Could it indicate something more sinister such as an underlying health problem?

I'm considering renaming them Tinkle and Pei Pei :lol:

Sounds weird, they should only be doing very large wees a few days after a feed, a few days before the main dump. They will wee just from drinking if not being fed but normally only fairly small amounts.???

What you described is the pattern for all tha rest of the gang, but very different from what is happening with Darius and Siam. With them it's continues every 2-3 days from one feed to the next. Would you be concerned if they were yours, Rob?

Sounds like my boy Hugo (aka pissboy). I have heard of some people keeping a small "sample" in a perforated plastic container within the enclosure. I suppose the idea is to maintain a familiar scent. I do have some concerns about the hygiene factor though.

Id stop feeding them for 3-4 weeks and see if it still happens. If they were dehydrated when you got them they would gorge themselves with water and do a couple of good wees, but not continuisly like you describe.
If your constantly feeding them this would be normal, but bhps IMO shouldnt be feed that often.

Thanks Rob. Will try what you've suggested and see how they go.

Cheers, Lily

My two boys do the same thing reptililian, i've put it down to scent marking, as soon as i clean their cages they "mark" it again within 24hrs

Congo

Thanks jnglgrl! :D

Thanks for your comment too, congo. I'll perhaps try Olivehydra's suggestion on the weight of what you've added.

Siam is out cruising round my flat atm. Will probably wee but I have hard floors and we are a modern society with ample disinfectants and anti-bacterials! She begged to be let out and I couldn't refuse her sweet face.

Just wanted to add that while you were very thorough in suggesting possible reasons for their constant wees Rob, I would be very surprised if they were dehydrated when I got them. They appear in perfect health and came from Jarrod, who keeps his snakes in impecable conditions and really cares about his critters.

I know :wink: That's why I said that you were thorough in "suggesting possible reasons". :D (And that's why you are one of the folk I look out for whenever I post a question. Because you are so thorough when you consider a problem I or another newbie put forward! Thanks Rob :D )

Thanks Lily, at least some one acknowledges that Im not just a pretty face. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back